Monday, January 25, 2010

Tom Cruise Helps Introduce a German Hero to a Wider Audience in Valkyrie

A couple of weeks ago, I watched the Quentin Tarantino movie that I have come to refer to as Inglourious Fellows. That movie strays far from reality, turning World War II into the setting for a spaghetti western in which the heroes always have the upper hand on the villains - though some of their methods are just as despicable. I guess I hadn’t had quite enough of Nazis for one month because the other night, I watched Bryan Singer’s Valkyrie, a considerably more sedate film about a group working to bring down Hitler.

Valkyrie, which is based on a true story, stars Tom Cruise as Colonel Claus van Stauffenberg, a German war hero who is disgusted with Nazism and leads a plot to kill Hitler (David Bamber) and show the world that not all of Germany is in agreement with his policies. Kenneth Branagh portrays Major-General Henning von Tresckow, another important architect of the plan, though his chief concern seems to be making Germany look good, and actually succeeding in their mission seems like less of a likelihood to him, at least initially. Putting together an assassination attempt and subsequent government takeover is a complex task, but they manage to find allies in their quest, some more firm than others. One of the most wishy-washy is General Friedrich Fromm (Tom Wilkinson), who is terrified that the plot will fail and he will be found complicit.

Of course, because this is a movie based on actual events, we know that the plot will fail, which puts a bit of a damper on the whole thing. I had never heard of this event before, so I didn’t know exactly what would go wrong, but I knew something would, since clearly, this was not the way Hitler died. I figured the movie would be a downer, and it certainly is; the ending is especially bleak. What’s more, I found it a bit on the dull side, at least in the beginning; once the fateful day arrives, there was enough action and tension to keep me engaged, but prior to that, it’s mostly a lot of nervous strategizing.

There’s little humor to be found in the movie, though there is a dash of romance, thanks to Claus’s wife Nina (Carice van Houten), who remains deeply devoted and openly affectionate to her husband, unrattled by the war injury that leaves him missing an eye, a hand and several fingers. I like Claus, who comes across as a quiet, pensive family man as well as a determined soldier; he’s not as entertaining as Brad Pitt’s Nazi-killing vigilante in Tarantino’s movie, but he’s not as cruel either. He also feels much more realistic. On the other hand, I had an issue with Cruise’s enunciation throughout the movie. I was tempted to turn on the subtitles because it seemed to me like he was mumbling the whole time.

I know the problem wasn’t his accent because he didn’t have one, which I found a little hard to get used to; all of the characters in the movie are German, but Bamber is the only one who switches to a German accent, since the filmmakers felt an English Hitler would be too distracting. Everyone else uses their natural accents, so some sound German, but others sound American or British, and I had to keep reminding myself that they were all German.

Valkyrie is the kind of movie I can imagine being shown in history classes. It illuminates an interesting piece of German history with which I was unfamiliar, and it seems worthwhile to show that there were plenty of Germans who weren’t under Hitler’s spell. While it didn’t hold my attention as well as it might have, I would recommend it to anyone fascinated by World War II.

No comments:

Post a Comment