Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Kevin Kline and Kenneth Branagh Team Up for the Adult-Oriented Road to El Dorado

Shortly after it came out on video, I saw Dreamworks‘ Prince of Egypt. I knew the basic story intimately, though of course the film took some liberties with the Biblical account of Moses. It featured an A-list cast, though I’m not sure I was aware of that at the time. I remember gorgeous animation, reverent music and, most of all, a very oppressive mood. It’s been a decade since I saw it, but my main impression of the movie was that it was extremely dark, a generally dispiriting movie with little humor to lighten the mood. One of these days I should watch it again and see whether I still feel the same way; after all, it’s not every day you get to see Sunday school hit the big screen. But after I watched Prince of Egypt, I felt depressed, and that made me a little leery of The Road to El Dorado, which was released in 2000. I finally decided it was time for me to give that movie a chance, if only because Elton John and Tim Rice, the musical team behind The Lion King, had collaborated on the songs.

The Road to El Dorado is a sweeping cinematic tale that, like Prince of Egypt, takes us to a very different time and place. On this occasion, it’s 1500s Spain, soon to be followed by the fabled city of El Dorado. Our heroes are a pair of spunky young scam artists. Black-haired Tulio (Kevin Kline) is motivated primarily by material gain, while blonde Miguel (Kenneth Branagh) longs for rousing adventure. They make a pretty great team, but their personalities and goals are different enough that quarrels are inevitable. It doesn’t take long to see that Miguel has an idealistic streak that the more self-serving Tulio lacks; much of the film is about bringing a balance back to their relationship as Tulio matures and finds a way to help the people who have come to accept him with such adulation.

While the animation style constantly reminded me that this was a Dreamworks film, the characters and basic story arc reminded me more of Disney’s Aladdin and Don Bluth’s Anastasia. All three films are buddy comedies with two guys, an alluring girl, a couple of amusing animal sidekicks and a corrupt, sorcerous advisor. They also involve a major scam: street rat posing as prince, orphan posing as princess, pair of Spaniards (with an American and British accent, naturally) posing as gods. The almost-opening scene in this film is strikingly similar to Aladdin’s One Jump Ahead, while the nightmarish visions induced by the creepy Tzekel-Kan (Armand Assante) recall Rasputin’s In the Dark of the Night.

But this is very much its own movie. And, much to my relief, it’s funny. Kline and Branagh, who recorded their lines together, a rarity for animated films, have wonderful chemistry that the animators capture. Their characters are well written, and they perform them perfectly, verbally jousting with one another at every opportunity. There’s quite a bit of physical comedy too, especially involving Miguel’s horse Altivo (Frank Welker), who doesn’t speak but is remarkably attuned to the needs of his human companions. I do think that the movie occasionally moves in a bit more of an adult direction than is called for. I don’t see that anything is added by having Tulio swear or canoodle with the very shapely Chel (Rosie Perez). I was surprised but unoffended by the brief shot of the men’s bare backsides in a comedic scene in which they go for a dip in a watering hole; Mulan had a similar scene, and there really wasn’t anything titillating about it. But the profanity and overt sensuality seemed a little out of place, and I‘m not crazy about having a villain (corpulent conquistador Cortes) referencing the Bible as he justifies cruelty. Additionally, some of the scenes involving Tzekel-Kan might well unsettle a sensitive young child.

Villainous Tzekel-Kan is deplorable, not to mention downright unpleasant to look at, with his enormous gums and sneering expression. He seems friendly enough initially, but it eventually becomes clear that these strangers who he initially took to be gods are not behaving in the expected manner, and he decides to take matters into his own hands. Meanwhile, the chief is an enormous man with large, almost feminine, lips. Portrayed by Edward James Olmos, he is soft-spoken and wise, and everyone else in town seems to be cut out of the same mold, except perhaps the wily Chel. One thing that bothered me (aside from the rather expected inconsistency in the main characters’ accents) was the fact that there is no language barrier between the explorers and these indigenous people. Are we supposed to think that because this is a magical, golden city that they have some sort of universal translator? There is never any indication that another language is spoken in this city, and that seems very suspect to me.

For the most part, though, the story works. First and foremost, this is a bromance, to the extent that Chel feels almost intrusive much of the time. Then again, I’m not that crazy about the character, in part because I find Perez so annoying, and also because Chel seems more suited to a PG-13 world. That said, I’m a little unsure of what to make of the movie’s one big end-credits hit, Someday Out of the Blue; I had initially taken it to be a Perfect Moment-style love song, but the lyrics, for the most part, seem much more suited to Miguel and Tulio’s complex friendship. Certain lines, however, make more sense in the context of Tulio and Chel’s blossoming romance. I can’t help wondering if Tim Rice and Sir Elton wanted us to see these relationships in a different light, and even if the largely superfluous character of Chel was added just to quell such speculations.

While I heard that song on the radio many times, the others in the film were new to me. Elton performed all but one, the entertaining, plot-advancing It’s Good to Be a God, sung by Branagh and Kline. I’ve read complaints about the music, but I really enjoyed both Hans Zimmer’s score and the new songs, poppish as they were. Phil Collins did a beautiful job with the music in Tarzan, and I think Elton fares similarly here. I found the songs catchy and effective for capturing the mood of the moment without actually having the characters break into song. Not that I would have complained about that. Nonetheless, I thought it was a stylistic choice that worked, especially with the introspective Friends Never Say Goodbye.

Now that I’ve watched Road to El Dorado, I’m happy to report that I don’t feel depressed. I didn’t expect the movie to be so funny, nor did I realize that Elton John would be performing most of the songs in the movie himself. While I don’t know how highly I would rank this on a list of animated favorites, I do think it’s a shame that plans for a sequel were scrapped after the movie failed to dazzle at the box office. This is definitely a duo that seems destined for more adventures.

No comments:

Post a Comment