Thursday, January 21, 2010

Cuddling With Treehouse the Squirrel on Squirrel Appreciation Day

I have been a squirrel enthusiast for as long as I can remember, and those of you who have been subjected to my efforts to spread awareness of Squirrel Appreciation Day today will know that my fondness for these furry creatures has not dimmed with time. Unfortunately, squirrel-related items aren’t so easy to come by. That’s why I was ecstatic to discover the adorable Treehouse the Squirrel lurking near the cash wrap at the bookstore where I work.

Over the years, I’ve collected a few of Ty’s Beanie Babies. I was never an avid collector, particularly at the height of their popularity, but now that it’s pretty easy to find many of them in the bargain bin or in a heap at a garage sale, I don’t mind plunking down a couple of dollars for an ostrich or a koala, and certainly not for a squirrel as cuddly as this little fellow. From the looks of him, Treehouse is probably a Red Squirrel, though the tag doesn’t specify. What it does say is that he was “born” on July 12, 2007. The tag also reads, “From my house in a birch tree / There’s oh-so-much that you can see / Let me just say, I love my view / It helps me to find acorns, too!”

He’s very realistic-looking, and his fur is among the softest of any Beanie Baby I own. It’s silky and reddish-brown for the most part, though his front is a light beige color. While the bulk of his fur has a speckly quality to it, his tail is all one color, and it’s much thicker and furrier than the rest of him. About three inches of his five-inch-long tail is unattached to the main body, meaning there’s plenty of wiggle room for him to twitch his tail, though you’ll probably have to flick it to get it going. The tail stands straight up in the air but can be briefly bent into a question mark.

Treehouse stands about five inches tall on two paws, with realistic-looking haunches. Meanwhile, his two upper paws clutch an acorn, which is still plush but is made of a different material than the body, making it less soft to the touch. Treehouse has no visible mouth, but he does have a little nose consisting of two black stitches, along with two tiny black plastic eyes and two petite ears.

I’d already had Treehouse for more than a year when I bought Jeremy, my Gray Squirrel finger puppet. Treehouse is more realistic-looking, though Jeremy is certainly a high-quality toy. The two are of comparable size, but Treehouse is about half an inch taller; if they’d been made by the same company, I might take this as evidence that Treehouse is a Fox Squirrel rather than a Red Squirrel, since the latter are smaller than Gray Squirrels, but I’m sure the two companies didn’t confer with one another on their designs.

At any rate, they’re close enough in size that it’s easy to imagine them as buddies, striking out together on a peanut-scavenging expedition. Ty also makes a couple of other squirrels, though I don’t own either of them. Based on the pictures I’ve seen, it looks like Treehouse is the cutest, with Nutty coming in a close second and Nuts trailing them both by a good margin. At the moment, Treehouse is also the cheapest of the three, so this might be a good time to snatch him up.

Are squirrels more than just rats with big, bushy tails to you? If so, you might want to invite Treehouse into your home. And hey, you don’t even have to worry about him depleting your nut supply!

No comments:

Post a Comment