Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Around Epinions in 80 Days: Blue Raspberry Gushers Are People! ... No, Not Really...

When I was growing up, there was a convenience store just down the street, and during the summer my brother and I used to walk down there a lot to spend our spare change on candy. Among my most frequent purchases were Bonkers and Zots, two types of candy that were one flavor on the outside and another inside. Bonkers were like two-flavored Starbursts, while Zots were hard candies with fizzy centers. It wasn’t until years later that I found Fruit Gushers, but it seems I was being primed to like them.

I’m not sure just when Gushers came along; I think of them as a sort of little brother to the Fruit Roll-Ups, also made by General Mills, that were so heavily advertised during children’s programming hours when I was a kid. Those, of course, were flat and usually came with punch-out shapes to increase the fun factor. Gushers, meanwhile, are hexagonal blobs. They remind me of the season two Star Trek episode By Any Other Name, in which an alien race reduces most of the crew of the Enterprise to small gray, many-sided blocks. Which, it occurs to me, is an unsettling, Soylent Green sort of thought... But that’s not generally on my mind as I munch these, thankfully.

Fruit Gushers are low in fat but very sugary, so they’re not really the healthiest snack around, but the pouches are pretty small, with maybe a dozen pieces in each. They come in bright yellow packages made of thick paper, and when you open them, it’s not unusual to find sticky residue on the inside and several Gushers clinging together. They’re chewy and come in a variety of flavors: strawberry, tropical, watermelon, kiwi, triple berry, apple and others. My favorite is probably the blue raspberry. I’ve always been partial to that flavor, whether it’s Jolly Ranchers or Skittles, and it’s very tasty in Gusher form, especially the juicy part in the center.

Gushers are so named because you bite down on the chewy outside and find liquid in the middle. If you don’t pop the whole thing in your mouth, you could end up accidentally squirting somebody when you chomp down. I find it rather fun to nibble a hole in the Gusher and then squeeze the liquid into my mouth by holding it tightly between my fingers. It’s also fun to toss it in the air and try to catch it.

This particular method helped inspire a (very) short film my brother and his friend made when they were in high school. His friend was such a fan of Gushers that we always kept a supply in the house, since at the time he came over a couple of times a week. In the video, he’s standing in the driveway eating Gushers, and he drops one. A dramatic countdown begins, and shortly after ten seconds is up, he nonchalantly picks up the Gusher and pops it in his mouth. And keels over. The moral: “Obey the 10-second rule.”

Clearly this snack has some morbid associations for me. Well, with a name like Gushers, what do you expect? The blue raspberry is likely to turn your teeth and tongue blue temporarily; spring for strawberry and you’d better be extra-careful not to spill, lest it look like you’ve been attacked. These are messy snacks, and after eating them, chances are you’ll want to wash your hands, since some degree of stickiness is almost inevitable. But I’ve been goony over Gushers since they started spicing up my high school lunches, and something tells I’ll never quite grow out of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment