Monday, January 18, 2010

Around Epinions in 80 Days: Farkle Is Fun - and Addictive!

When I was in elementary school, I spent far too many hours playing the insidiously addictive Tetris. In college, my addictive computer game of choice was Snood, to which my similarly afflicted fellow members of the college newspaper staff introduced me. Nowadays, I’ve fallen into the clutches of Farkle, a dice game that is all the rage on Facebook. My cousin got me hooked on it, and for a while, I found myself rolling those virtual dice late into the night. Nowadays, however, I don’t have to settle for pixels on my screen. That’s because I got the real, physical game for Christmas.

I don’t know if Farkle first appeared online or in plastic (though the word “classic“ on the packaging suggests the latter). I do know that I played a game quite similar to it when I was younger; we often broke it out on camping trips or other such occasions. So to me, Farkle was new but familiar, and getting the actual game felt like coming full circle. It comes in a thick plastic cup, mug-like but lacking in a handle and featuring a lid that fits perfectly over the top, making for easy shaking during rolls. On the inside, the material at the bottom is foam, which helps quiet the rattling of the six dice. My cup is blue, but it is also available in other colors. The dice are typical white, six-sided dice.

The game is pretty basic, and the cup comes with a set of instructions tucked inside for easy reference. (Actually, there are two sets: one in English and one in Spanish). All you need is a pad of paper to keep track of your score. The packaging advises that this game is intended for two or more players, but you can play by yourself too and challenge yourself to see, for example, how many turns it takes for you to get to 10,000. There is an element of gambling to this game, as you must at some point decide whether you want to continue with your turn and potentially earn more points or play it safe.

In order for your points to be preserved, you must earn at least 500. There are several different combinations that yield points. Ones are worth 100 points, while fives are worth 50. Three ones are 300; three twos are 200; three threes are 300; three fours are 400; three fives are 500 and three sixes are 600. Four of a kind are 1000; five of a kind are 2000; six of a kind are 3000. A straight of one through six is worth 1500, as are three pairs or four of a kind plus a pair, while two sets of three of a kind are worth 2500. Some of these point values and configurations are different than those found in the Facebook game; you’re free, of course, to use whatever rules you choose, as long as everyone is on the same page.

Each person rolls the dice and continues to roll, setting aside dice with point values, until he rolls a useless jumble or decides to call it quits. I see nothing in the rules to indicate that setting aside all eligible dice is required. I often throw back my fives in hopes of a better chance at a higher-scoring combination. The safest time to continue rolling is when all six dice are spoken for, since the next batch of six is quite likely to contain something usable. This isn’t always the case, however; if you get 3000 in one roll, I’d think very hard before deciding to put those points on the line with another roll.

It isn’t as easy to get to 500 as you might think, so if you play to 10,000 as the game suggests, it can take a while, particularly if you have several people squaring off against each other. My strategy usually involves taking it turtle-slow, and this has served me well, but being willing to push your luck can be very advantageous too. Whatever your style, Farkle is a fun, fast-paced dice game that’s easy to learn and play. Just watch out, because whether it’s on the computer screen or the kitchen table, Farkle is mighty addictive!

No comments:

Post a Comment