Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Around Epinions in 80 Days: Amazon is the River of Dreams

I’ve been a really active Internet user for about a decade, but I did venture online now and then in the few years before that. One of the first sites I recall visiting was Amazon.com. I was in search of The Keeper, a children’s album by former Irish Rover Will Millar, whose title track he had sung at a concert in Erie before he left the band. I found the CD, and with a very reasonable price tag, too. It was the first of many purchases I would make there.

My most memorable Amazon experience dates back to 2000. My mom was shopping for a Father’s Day present for my grandpa, and we noticed that there was a promotion running that offered free shipping on orders over $25. That has since become standard on Amazon, both a blessing and a curse, as it pretty much guarantees that unless I’m buying something used (in which case the special rate doesn’t apply) I will find a way to spend at least $25 there. Mom had found a couple of things, but it still came in at under $25. Then we recalled that Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire would be coming out that summer. So we pre-ordered that, because of course I would be buying it anyway. Except we kinda forgot that the order was going directly to Grandpa. So he got his Father’s Day presents, and shortly thereafter, the hefty new Harry Potter landed on his doorstep. And though I’d been so ahead of the game, it was a month before we made it to York for a visit, at which point I felt like the last person on the planet to have read the fourth installment. Lesson learned: Don’t order stuff for yourself when it’s going to somebody else!

In the years since, I’ve probably plunked down a thousand dollars on Amazon. It’s certainly not difficult to spend money there, since just about any movie, book or CD you could possibly want is available through the site, especially if you don’t mind buying it second-hand. There are other things as well; I’ve bought action figures, vending machine toys and other such indulgences, not to mention a microphone. It’s rare that I’ve spent full price for something there, and music seems to be especially cost-effective. For instance, I’ve pre-ordered Celtic Thunder’s upcoming CD and DVD It‘s Entertainment; the list price for the two combined is $39, but on Amazon I’m only paying $24.

In all my years buying from Amazon, I can’t recall having any negative experiences. On the rare occasion that I’ve received something that was damaged, I was able to return it quickly and painlessly. I’ve occasionally received Amazon gift cards, and I had no trouble using them. The one thing I haven’t been able to do is get an Amazon credit card, which is rather a shame since I buy more from them than any other retailer, but given my aversion to credit cards in general, I guess I can’t fault them for viewing my lack of credit experience as a liability. I generally use my debit card on Amazon, which works fine, and with Visa Extras I’m still able to get a little reward for my dollars spent; in fact, I have a $25 Amazon gift card headed my way right now.

One aspect of Amazon that is both helpful and maddening is the feature that shows you similar items that might be of interest. The trouble is that these items usually are of interest, and goodness knows I don’t need any more temptation. Still, I’ve discovered some great stuff through Amazon that way. If you’re a media lover, this is an indispensable website, and if you time your purchases so that you buy several things at once, you can avoid shipping costs and make the reasonable prices even more palatable. For a bookworm and audiophile like me, Amazon is the river of dreams.

No comments:

Post a Comment