Thursday, July 9, 2009

Test Your Tolkien Knowledge With Lord of the Rings Trivial Pursuit

When it comes to J. R. R. Tolkien's Middle-earth, I like to think of myself as something of an expert. I first read The Hobbit in first grade, and my dad had already read it to me before that. By the time I was in high school, Sam Gamgee had replaced Bilbo Baggins as my favorite hobbit, though I'll always identify myself more with Bilbo. It was in eighth grade that my English class did a unit on The Hobbit and I was deemed so well-versed in the book that I was given an alternate assignment so I'd have a bit of a challenge. Of course, when Peter Jackson's Lord of the Rings trilogy hit the theaters, those movies were highlights of my year three years in a row.

It's no surprise that the past decade has included many Lord of the Rings-related gifts, as merchandise inspired by the movies became readily available. One of these presents was Trivial Pursuit: The Lord of the Rings Movie Trilogy Collector's Edition. Shortly after I received this for Christmas, my parents, brother and I sat down for a game in which I expected to emerge the victor. As I recall, I did, but I found the questions more challenging than I had anticipated. I was anxious to give it a go in different company last month when I went to visit my friends Erica and Art. They, too, own the board game, and I'm pretty sure they've both played the game and watched the movies more often than I have. Still, I thought we were fairly evenly matched. Then the game began, and after Erica and I each missed a question, Art managed a flawless run of correct answers that left him the undisputed champion in a mere turn. Clearly, I am not the biggest Tolkien expert out there...

This edition of Trivial Pursuit comes in an attractive brown box featuring the Ring on the cover and ornate designs in the corners. The board, which features a map of Middle-earth in the background, has the Ring in the center, with six straight paths leading out toward the circle. Each path has five regular spaces and an oversized space the connects with the circle; these are the spaces that allow a player to receive a wedge of the corresponding color. On the circle, there are six spaces between each of these mega-spaces. In order to win the game, a player must collect one wedge of each color, for which there are spaces inside the bases of the game pieces. There is no purple wedge, but there are purple spaces; these direct the player to roll again.

Orange spaces have a tree symbol, which represents Things. Green has a leaf, for Good Characters. Blue has a curious brown symbol that represents Evil Characters; I can't figure out what it's supposed to be, but it certainly looks sinister. The red spaces have the Ring, denoting Place & History. Yellow spaces have a dagger for Warfare, and the brown spaces have a movie reel for Making Movies. This last category concentrates on details about the production of the films and might include such queries as "Which actor portrayed Aragorn?" or "In what country were the movies filmed?" If you were a Tolkien fan completely unfamiliar with the films, some of the questions in the other categories would trip you up, but this would be the only one to consistently cause a problem. To even things out, it might have been nice if the folks at Hasbro had lumped Good Characters and Evil Characters into one category and added a category specifically pertaining to the books.

This game is designed for up to four players, with pewter figurines of four of the main characters: Frodo, Gandalf, Aragorn and Galadriel. While Elf queen Galadriel is actually a rather minor character compared to the others, I have no objection to her inclusion, though I would have preferred that everyone in the Fellowship be included as well, giving players plenty of characters from which to choose. But I suppose that would have made the game quite a bit pricier!

Also included in the game are one die and a box full of trivia questions, and that's all you really need to play the game. If you land on one of the mega-spaces, you can decide whether you want to proceed in the circle or up the designated path. On any given turn, you're free to move to the left or the right as you choose. The main objective is to collect those wedges. Once you've done that, all that's left is to get to the Ring, which you must land on by exact count. At this point, you're at the mercy of the other players, and they get to decide which category is your weakest and hope that a question from that category will be enough to thwart you. If not, you'll be declared the winner.

The game can be more complicated than this if you wish. While the rules include suggestions for a shorter game, it's the Expert Fan Rules that require explanation. I'll do my best, though I prefer to play the simpler version. There's a Ring piece and a Ringwraith piece, and taken together, they add another dimension to the game. The One Ring belongs to whoever last correctly answered a question on a mega-space, even if that person already had the wedge for that space. The main purpose of possessing the Ring is to get you out of answering especially tough questions. However, if you elect to use this option, you must answer the new question correctly or you'll lose a wedge, and if you have no wedges to lose, you're out of the game. The Ringwraith moves with a roll of the die each time a player guesses a question incorrectly. Once it is out on the circle, it doesn't move along the spokes. If it lands on a space with a player, that player loses a wedge (or, as above, if he has no wedges, he is out of the game). If there are two or more players on the same space, the player with the most wedges loses a wedge.

Whether or not you incorporate these advanced rules, Trivial Pursuit: The Lord of the Rings Movie Trilogy Collector's Edition is a fun game for Tolkien fanatics - though if at least one of you has an especially extensive knowledge of the trilogy, I would recommend amending the rules so that a turn is over after a player answers a question, whether or not the response is correct. That way, everybody gets equal play time - though it also makes winning more luck-based. However you decide to play, this is a great board game for those who are eager to show off their knowledge of all things Lord of the Rings.

No comments:

Post a Comment