Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Michael Jackson Encourages Everyone to "Heal the World, Make It a Better Place"

There are many things I will remember about Michael Jackson, but first and foremost, I will recall his humanitarianism. He always struck me a man who was profoundly concerned about the welfare of the disenfranchised, especially children. Throughout the '80s and '90s, this focus was especially evident in songs like Man in the Mirror, Earth Song and, of course, We Are the World, a massive effort uniting many of the biggest musical superstars of the day for the sake of raising money for famine relief in Africa. Similar in tone and message to the latter is 1991's Heal the World, one of Jackson's quietest but ultimately most impressive hits.

Like several of his inspirational-style songs, it has a chorus that, at one point, grows mightier with each repetition as the accompanying choir swells. By the end of the song, you're left with the impression that everybody in the world truly is pitching in to help, while the child at the end drives home the point that each one of us ought to make an individual, personal effort. It's a child who starts and ends the song, one by speaking, the other by singing, and while it's a Jackson solo until about two-thirds of the way through the song, the children are the stars of the video, with the King of Pop completely absent. Of all his videos, at least the ones I've seen, I would say that this one is the least egocentric. I also discovered that, according to a 2001 chat session with fans, it's the song of which he's proudest.

Heal the World seems to me to have a very '70s vibe to it. It's mellow in the extreme, with the first half, anyway, sounding more like John Denver's style than Michael Jackson's - and I suspect that Denver approved of this song heartily. I'm not aware of their ever having worked together, but when it came to issues like the ones explored in this song, I think they were very much on the same page. What a collaboration that would have been! The video's whole theme of children (toting flowers, no less) convincing soldiers to lay down their guns feels very hippie-ish and reminds me specifically of Rhymes and Reasons, in which Denver sings, "For the children and the flowers are my sisters and my brothers" and "It is written, 'From the desert to the mountains they shall lead us...'"

I don't know that I'd ever actually watched the video before this week. If I did, it was a long time ago, and as I never had MTV, I don't know when the occasion would have arisen. I'm not a huge fan of music videos in general, but I generally like Jackson's, and I love this one. It feels so cinematic, so simple but powerful. It cuts between scenes of peace and destruction, of children playing and of bombs going off. It soon becomes the story of an ever-growing group of children from all walks of life drawing near to a group of heavily armed soldiers, who begin to take note of their approach and ultimately are moved, in the face of such innocence, to trade their guns for flowers. At that point, the rest of the video involves a candlelight vigil whose attendance grows with each increase in volume in the repeated chorus. There's a certain naivety to the video, but then Jackson was never known for being 100 percent in tune with reality. And who knows? If everyone took the sentiments in this song to heart, maybe wars could end this painlessly.

Jackson's voice always was on the high side, but this song showcases his upper register even more than most. It's so soft and flutey, and especially in the verses, it sounds like he's going into a falsetto. While the opening line of the song doesn't quite work for me ("There's a place in your heart, and I know that it is love" seems as grammatically suspect as "I'm proud to be an American, where at least I know I'm free"), I love the lyrics in general. "We stop existing and start living" is a great line, and lines like "See the nations turn their swords into ploughshares" give the song a biblical resonance. The chorus works best of all; it's powerful and easy to remember, especially since it's repeated so many times. By the time the song ends, the message has really been driven home.

Michael Jackson was right to be proud of this song. It's one of his finest, especially when the video is factored into the equation. In fact, the video is on the verge of displacing my long-held favorite, Will You Be There. Unlike that exuberant number, Heal the World isn't the sort of song that makes you want to get up and dance. But it does make you want to get up and make a difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment