Saturday, July 11, 2009

Spread Some Cheer With the Care Bears Vending Machine Toys

Ever since I was little, I've loved stopping at the toy vending machines that tend to be positioned in the entryways of stores like K-Mart and Tops. Up until recently, I could count on my quarters buying me something completely random and probably pretty junky. But the past five years or so has seen a great improvement in these vending machine toys. Now, most machines contain only one type of toy, so you're guaranteed to get a bouncy ball or a Peek-a-Pooh or a Lord of the Rings mini-bust... or a Care Bear. At the mall where I have spent several seasons as a kiosk attendant, there used to be an enormously tall machine filled with plastic Care Bears for fifty cents each. I often stopped by after work to buy one, and I was sad when I returned one year to find the machine gone.

The machine invited Care Bears enthusiasts to collect all 32 bears, which I never managed to do. However, it's really just eight different bears in four poses each. I did manage to get one of each bear, so that was good enough for me, though I've since given away most of my duplicate bears and wish I had easy access to another supply, as they make great little just-because presents. To paraphrase A. A. Milne, no one can be un-cheered by a Care Bear. Just to be on the safe side, however, the makers of this collection omitted Grumpy Bear, a standout among his perpetually smiling pals because of the stormcloud on his tummy and the scowl on his face. Like Eeyore, he grumbles a lot, but he's lovable nonetheless, and I wish he had been included. Indeed, it would be great if there really were 32 different bears, not to mention the Care Bear Cousins. Maybe they'll consider another line in the future; Peek-a-Pooh is still going strong after about 20 sets.

The eight bears available in this set are Friend Bear, Wish Bear, Cheer Bear, Share Bear, Love-a-Lot Bear, Good Luck Bear, Bedtime Bear and Funshine Bear. Each of the bears is a different color, though their snouts and stomachs are white. Their noses and the pads of their paws are heart-shaped and a darker shade of their fur color. Each also has a red heart located near his or her tail. My favorite is Good Luck Bear, who is green and has a four-leaf clover on his tummy. This is the one I was most excited to get, and though my Dad and brother aren't exactly the Care Bear enthusiasts I am, each of them gladly accepted one of these as token of luck and Irish heritage.

Wish Bear is halfway between green and blue, a pastel sort of sea green. She has a shooting star on her tummy. Bedtime Bear is all blue with a dark blue crescent moon on his tummy. Share Bear is pinky-purple, with interlocking heart-stamped lollipops on her tummy, while Love-a-Lot Bear is dark pink with two hearts on her tummy. Pale pink Cheer Bear has a rainbow on her tummy. Orange Friend Bear has interlocking flowers on her tummy, and yellow Funshine Bear sports a smiling sun on his. Each one wears a happy expression, with differing degrees of the smiling mouth exposed.

All of the bears are in seated positions, and there is no articulation to them. The biggest variation among the poses involves the arms. Two of the poses have both arms stretched out, though in one, the bear looks straight ahead, while in the other, his or her head is turned to the left. In the other two poses, the left arm is outstretched, but in one, the right paw rests on the knee, while in the other it rests near the mouth in a pensive position. I don't know that I can say I prefer one pose over the others; all are equally cute. These figures stand on their own with no trouble. I keep them in a cluster on my piano, though I will occasionally move them elsewhere in order to entertain myself with them. I especially had fun last week when we had a downpour that lasted all morning. I brought out several props from my Pooh's Friendly Places play sets, as the tiny figures of Pooh, Piglet and pals that came with those sets are fairly comparable in size to these one and a half inch-tall bears. I especially had fun placing pairs of bears in Piglet's ornate bathtub and sending them to float along in our neighbor's front-yard lake.

Because of their diminutive size I can't really recommend these toys for anyone under the age of four or so, but older children ought to have fun with them, as they are sturdy, colorful and just plain fun. They make terrific add-ons to birthday presents - just tape one to the package - or random pick-me-uppers to be send through the mail or given in person. You could also place them on top of a cake if you wanted to, or stick them in Easter eggs and make a hunt extra fun. Or hand them over to an aspiring juggler and see how he manages with them. There are all sorts of possibilities with these little bears, and if you don't happen to have a vending machine in your area that sells them, they're pretty easy to find online. A set containing one of each is available on Amazon for four dollars; another containing a random assortment of 50 goes for $25. If I ever find myself stuck for a fun giveaway item for a party or event, I may spring for that. In the meantime, I'll enjoy the ten bears I have and contemplate who could do with a little extra cheer in her day. One of my remaining duplicates is Friend Bear, the other Love-a-Lot. Both are poised to be a little plastic stand-in for an in-person hug, because spreading goodwill is what Care Bears do best.

No comments:

Post a Comment