Monday, July 6, 2009

Make Your Boston Vacation Photos More Memorable With the Crab Hat

When I went to Boston recently while visiting friends of mine who lived nearby, one of the first things I did was buy a crab hat. I'd seen the hat already, as Erica had shown me hers, which she'd bought when her sister and niece came to visit. Her niece is seven or eight, so it was a matter of auntly duty to purchase a hat that would inevitably provoke amusement - or at least Erica is at liberty to claim that. I, however, had no such excuse, but as I suspect that she needed none to engage in such extravagant silliness, I shan't hang my head in shame. Even back in Erie, I wasn't blue as I celebrated the 4th of July with this red and white crab hat firmly on my head.

I saw this hat for sale at the store Best of Boston and at least one stand set up in the middle of the walkway around Fanueil Hall Market Place. I did not see anyone else actually wearing one, and throughout the day several people shouted, "Hey, nice hat!" as I walked by. I think some of them meant it, while others no doubt were thinking, "What kind of goofball walks around with a crab on her head all day?" Either way, I didn't mind the comments, and I loved the extra fun touch it added to all of the pictures my friends took of me that day.

The crab hat is a basic felt creation. It has red legs that stick out and two great big white eyes with black pupils suspended above the hat on black felt-covered wires resembling the legs. There are four legs on either side of the eyes. The longest ones are closest to the eyes, and each of these two has a pincher on the end. The remaining three on each side have no pinchers, and the legs get shorter as they get further from the eyes.

The hat has a diameter of about 20 inches, and the strap that wraps around the back is held in place by a piece of velcro. I suppose that with enough re-wearings, this might get worn down, especially if you open and close the velcro frequently, but mine is in terrific shape, and it fits most heads quite well. I made my parents, brother and even dog wear it when I got home, and it stayed in place with no problem, which is more than I can say for the spangly but flimsy wizard hat I bought in Salem, which is too small for most heads and has nothing to anchor it to someone's head.

I bought my crab hat for six dollars. The same amount of money will buy you a lobster hat, which is similarly amusing; it, too, is red, but is more plush and features little eyes on the hat itself, two black antennae and two huge, plush pinchers. According to Epinions, the crab hat is an Oriental Trading product, which surprised me, though upon reflection I guess it looks like the kind of thing they would sell. It goes for six dollars from the catalog, too, so while Boston is an especially appropriate place in which to wear this hilarious headgear, you don't have to go there to buy it. If looking like a goon doesn't make you crabby, yuk it up with one of the zaniest hats around!

No comments:

Post a Comment