Friday, July 24, 2009

Arlo Guthrie Proves Himself a Storyteller Extraordinaire on July 21, 2009, in Erie, PA

Here in Erie, Pennsylvania, one of our more popular summer traditions is an event called Eight Great Tuesdays, during which eight free concerts are given at the Pepsi Amphitheater down by the lake. I've rarely gone, but a couple weeks ago an upcoming performer caught my eye. Arlo Guthrie was coming to Erie, and that seemed to merit attendance on my part.

I've always been familiar with some of Woody Guthrie's music, but I developed an especially keen interest in him in 2006, when I happened to watch a documentary about him. It really caught my fancy, especially the fact that on one occasion, he spent 28 days riding around on a train, writing songs about labor disputes around the country.

He wrote 26. I decided that I was going to do the same thing. Except I wasn't feeling like much of a composer, and instead I wanted to just do song parodies, or filksongs, or whatever the best word is for writing new lyrics to existing songs. So since I wasn't going to write the music, I set a goal of 52, since I figured he did at least twice as much work as I would be doing. And I actually managed to make my goal. I'm no Woody, but I think a few of them turned out pretty well, and it certainly was one of the most productive summers I've ever had. So I kinda felt like I owed it to him to give his son a fair shake.

When we arrived, we sat up at the top of the hill, where we couldn't see or hear much of anything. If you're lucky enough to have good weather, Eight Great Tuesdays is a pretty great way to spend the evening, but the downside is that a lot of people show up just for the atmosphere and couldn't care less about who's up on stage, and they chatter throughout the whole show.

Once the opening band stopped playing and someone announced that Arlo was coming soon, I headed down to the front, where the most ardent hippies were standing. I saw dreadlocks, a Bob Marley jacket, an Arlo Guthrie t-shirt, a sign that said "I Don't Want a Pickle" and a delightfully bizarre ensemble that included a peasant skirt and a hoodie with some sort of ears attached. I also saw a lot of smoke, and though my eyes couldn't confirm it, my nostrils suspected that not all of it was emanating from cigarettes. I wound up about four makeshift rows from the stage. I'm glad I moved; I could hear him just fine, and most of the time I had a pretty good view too, and I even managed to snap some decent photos. It also meant I got to stand in the "Wooooo!!"-ing section. Sometimes, it's just really swell to let out a mighty whoop.

Rain threatened all night, and at one point a good chunk of the audience left after seeing a distant flash of lightning. Mom and Dad were able to move their chairs up and find a much better spot. They also bumped into my brother Nathan. After the show, I saw him too, and he observed that, judging by the volume of my voice, I must have been standing really close to the stage.

Arlo Guthrie is an awesome storyteller. I wish I'd bought an extra video tape so I could've gotten more of his stories. I think my favorite bit of banter from him concerned his songwriting advice and went something like this...

"Now that I'm gettin' older, I notice a lot of young folks writin' me, askin' for songwriting tips. They figure I've been around a while, so I must know somethin'. Well, I tell 'em, songwriting is like fishing. You spend a lot of time sittin' around. And every once in a while a song swims by. If you're lucky, and you've got a pen, you catch it. The rest - they go to Bob Dylan. I even wrote to Bob one time, and I said to him, 'Bob, couldn't you just let a little one go once in a while?' He wasn't amused. So I guess my advice to songwriters would be, 'Don't sit downstream of Bob Dylan.'"

Arlo's rambling introductions to his songs tended to be longer than the songs themselves, and even more fun. I got his story about the man who sustained a ridiculous number of injuries in one day on tape, as well as his reflections on Woodstock.

"There were these two cops, and the big one said, 'You know, I think there are gonna be a lot of hippies hangin' around this weekend.' And the little one said, 'Yup.' And the big guy, he said, 'I bet those guys are gonna be doin' things that are illegal.' And the little guy said, 'Yup.' And the big cop said, 'I'm not gonna go down there, are you?' And the little guy said, 'Nope.' And that was when I realized we were probably gonna have a pretty good time that weekend. And I was right!"

Arlo mentioned his dad a few times, but the best reference was his singing of "This Land Is Your Land," which took him about 15 minutes all told. That's because he kept interrupting it to tell another rambling story, and he even slipped another song in there. He said his 7-year-old grandkids informed him that they wanted to open a recent show of his and that they'd written a few songs. He was surprised but gave them the go-ahead and found he really liked one of their compositions, a ditty called "Take Me to Show and Tell," which he then proceeded to sing; by the end of it, he had us all singing along. "This Land," incidentally, was one of the highlights of the Peter Paul and Mary concert I attended as well. It's one of those songs that really gets people singing.

I'm a fan of the no-frills show. Nothing but Arlo - clad in jeans and a leather vest over a black and white shirt, large glasses perched on his nose and his long, frizzy white hair pulled into a ponytail under an orange ballcap - and his guitar, and for a couple of songs, his keyboard. And a harmonica. He was onstage for upwards of an hour and a half if you include the encores. And he does this dozens of times a year. Must be exhausting! I imagine he changes things up a bit each night; the stories had an off-the-cuff feel to them, and his catalogue of songs is extensive, so I suspect it isn't the same exact set list time and again.

There was one particular song that I was really burning to hear, though, and I suspect most of the audience was with me on that. Truth of the matter is that I'm not terribly familiar with Arlo. He looked and sounded about how I imagined he would, but my experience with him is limited. But boy, do I love "The City of New Orleans".

He didn't write it; a guy by the name of Steve Goodman did. I'd think it would be a little annoying for a songwriter to be most famous for singing a song he didn't write. But it's so fantastic, even blows John Denver's version out of the water. Back when Katrina hit, I heard this song on the mall radio practically every day. And I always perked up my ears and listened, and often sang along under my breath.

This was the one song I was really looking forward to, and I figured he would sing it last, as Don McLean wisely did with "American Pie" at his free concert in Buffalo. I thought the crowd would disperse after he sang it, so naturally he'd wait until the end. But he ended up singing it at about 8:50, 40 minutes before the concert was supposed to end, with barely an introduction. I'd just turned my camera off to conserve the battery and reduce my temptation to tape other stuff for fear I'd run out before the song was over. So instead, I missed "Ridin' on the City of New Orleans, Illinois Central Monday mornin' rail..." Blah. Pretty sure I got the rest of it though. Unfortunately, since I was the one holding the camera, I suspect that my off-key singing-along voice is gonna be all over that recording. I didn't notice that the keyboard was there until he went over to play it. He saved it for this song, and the fact that he switched instruments to play it made it feel especially momentous.

That wasn't the only New Orleans song he sang. Immediately preceding it was a song he wrote in the wake of Hurricane Katrina. I'd never heard it before, but I thought it was very moving, especially the last two verses: "I see the storm clouds rise above me; / The sky is dark and the night has come./ I walk alone along this highway, / Where friends have gathered one by one. / I know the storm will soon be over, / The howling winds will cease to be. / I walk with friends from every nation, / On freedom's highway, in times like these."

A lot of people seemed to be waiting for "Alice's Restaurant," which I've never heard before. Apparently it's very long. Maybe too long for him to remember. Or he just wanted to give us more variety by playing three or four songs in the time it would've taken to perform that one. I really need to familiarize myself more with Arlo's music. I liked almost everything I heard. And he seemed very gracious, seemed to love the natural beauty of the lakefront and the enthusiasm of the crowd.

"Let me tell you, though," he said, "there are some weird people in Erie. And some of them look normal, but you get 'em here, and then all that peace and love stuff starts comin' out, and they just can't hide it anymore. I'm onto you!"

He said he used to be a peace and love guy, until he decided that if we succeded in making the world into this wonderful place, it'd be awfully hard to find a way of making a positive contribution.

"With the world such a mess," he said, "it makes my job a lot easier."

Of course, he was joking around, and before singing gentle rendition of "My Peace Is All I Have," a poem of Woody's that Arlo set to music, he offered the following thought: "If people would pay attention to the little peace, I think the big peace would just kinda sort itself out."

Did I mention how much fun the crowd was - at least the standing crowd? They really wanted him to stick around, too. He did two encores, and I'm not entirely certain the second one was planned. These guys tried valiantly for a third; they kept chanting "Arlo! Arlo! Arlo!" long after he'd gotten on his tour bus. I guess they figured there was hope as long as he hadn't pulled away yet.

I was a little surprised he didn't have a merchandise table; I would have bought a CD. But since we'd bumped into my brother, we were still among the last to leave.

The shuttle back to the car that we happened to catch was full of loopy folks who seemed likely to have attended Woodstock themselves. I stepped on the bus, and suddenly everyone started singing "Feelin' Groovy.' And I wasn't even wearing my Simon and Garfunkel t-shirt! As tends to happen with impromptu sing-alongs, it fell apart after the first chorus, and "If I Fell" was a total trainwreck. But man, what a cool group of people to ride around downtown Erie with!

If you ever get the chance to see Arlo Guthrie in concert, I'd recommend it. His voice is gritty, with a voice that reminded be of Dylan but grated on me less than that of the nasally troubadour. If folk is your scene, then it's an experience you won't want to miss. The songs are great; the stories are even better.

No comments:

Post a Comment