Tuesday, June 29, 2004

It's Got Questions, You've Got Answers

When I was on the phone with a friend of mine last week and, as is not unusual for a shoddy conversationalist like myself, running out of things to say, I happened to recall a book that had kept my best friend and me entertained throughout several get-togethers in middle school. It was a book we had first encountered in guidance class, when the teacher used its contents to provoke discussions. I have no idea how I happened to get my hands on it, but it was one of those school discoveries, like the game Play It By Ear, that became a sleepover staple. On a whim, I ventured out into the bookshelf-lined hallway, and lo and behold, there it was: The Kids’ Book of Questions. Filled with 260 questions intended to inspire thought and conversation, this handy little book kept us talking for another couple hours, with plenty of other questions left for another day.

Written by Dr. Gregory Stock, this book presents open-ended questions intended particularly for a juvenile reader base. Looking through the book again this time, I discovered that it followed a bestselling book simply entitled The Book of Questions. I was unaware of that book’s existence, but now I might have to see if I can find it. I can use all the conversation starters I can get. Unfortunately, because this book is geared towards kids, many of the questions don’t apply very well to adults. Many of the queries have to do with parents, teachers and “grown-ups” in general, often setting up a contrast between these people and whoever is answering the questions. Questions such as “What is your ideal bedtime?” and “What would you do if you woke up and had been magically changed into an adult?” are pretty irrelevant for a 23-year-old, but most of the questions can be altered in such a way that they suit adults as well as children. For the rest, I can just answer in retrospect.

But this book of questions was written specifically with children in mind, and for that age group the queries are especially meaningful. Some are light-hearted, while others demand more serious answers. Topics range from bullies, fears and career aspirations to censorship, religion and the perks of being an adult. Some of the more off-the-wall questions:

* If you went to the beach and discovered people there were swimming nude, would want to stay and watch or leave?
* Would you go to the mall with your dad if he dyed his hair green or would you be too embarrassed?
* If a rich kid wanted to buy your parents, how much would you ask for them if you were willing to sell them?
* If you could pick an age to be for your whole life, what age would you pick?
* If you could be invisible for a day, what would you do?

This book is not memorable for what it contains but for the aftermath of reading those questions. Great for a class or a one-on-one discussion, The Kids’ Book of Questions is a sure-fire way to get even the most reluctant conversationalist talking.

No comments:

Post a Comment