Saturday, June 5, 2004

Epinions Then and Now Write-Off: Here's to the Next Four Years!

Well, I just happened upon this write-off celebrating Birdfeather's 100th review and, feeling a bit nostalgic, decided to go ahead and crash the party. Way to go, Birdfeather!

1. How long have you been a member of Epinions?

I have been a member of Epinions since January 5, 2000 - more than four years now!

2. Which member invited you to join or did you stumble upon the site?

I stumbled upon the site looking for a place where I could submit book reviews.

3. Is there anything you miss about Epinions that has changed and/or no longer in force?

Well, I really miss the first month, when I made 10 to 30 cents per hit, and even getting one cent per hit was pretty nice. Plus, some members I like a lot haven't written much lately.

4. Who are your Top 3 Epinion members and why?

I'm seriously no good at favorites. Ask me that about anything and I'll have trouble. There are so many amazing writers and wonderful people here on Epinions, it's really hard to single out anybody. Just to stretch it, here are 4 of my favorites...

ByronSummers - Yeah, aside from one review in January, he hasn't written in two years, but few members have stood out so powerfully to me. I still remember the first time I read one of his reviews. I love the skill, warmth, and passion each review displays, and the personality with which he infuses his writing makes reading it especially enjoyable.

JediKermit - Quinn is a darn funny guy. His razor-sharp wit leaves me laughing out loud time and again, yet in the course of the same review he can move me nearly to tears. I happened upon Quinn pretty early in his Epinions career and watched him gradually pass me by; with almost 200 reviews between us now, I doubt I'll ever catch up. But if that means always having one of his reviews to read, that's OK by me.

IanGrant - His incredibly detailed music reviews are great for a music lover like me, especially since we have such similar taste. I've particularly enjoyed exchanging comments with him about Simon and Garfunkel.

Panguitch - I read dozens of reviews of The Return of the King, many brilliantly written, but I never found one to top Andy's. That distinction placed him firmly in my high esteem, and his other reviews are just as illuminating.

5. What is your favorite thing about Epinions?

I love having a place where I can write post reviews without having to go through anybody, and getting comments on them is especially nice. Every once in a while I'll get an e-mail from somebody because they read one of my reviews, and that's especially cool. I also love reading reviews and encountering lots of terrific people.

6. What are your goals for the next year here at Epinions?

I'd really like to regain my top reviewer hats in movies and music. I lost them when I went to England in 2001 for five weeks and didn't write any reviews while I was gone and haven't managed to get them back since. I'd also like to not have so many stretches of several weeks without reviews. (The two, I imagine, complement one another...)

7. If you could change one thing about Epinions, what would it be?

I want my penny-per-hit back!

8. What do you think of the Epinion dolls? Cute or Uglee??

I guess they're kinda cute.

9. What is your favorite pastime at Epinions...Reading or Writing?

As much as I love reading the many wonderful reviews here, it was the writing that drew me here, and in no small measure it's what keeps me here. No matter how great my writer's block, I can always find something to write a review about, which in turn makes me feel productive. And that's a good thing.

10. What is your favorite Write-Off and who was it hosted by??

I don't do write-offs too often. I don't think I can really pick a favorite. Each one has its merits.

Well, there ya go! I've been hanging around more than four years now, so I won't be going away any time soon. Here's to the next four years!

No comments:

Post a Comment