Saturday, March 25, 2000

Picky People

Have you ever had trouble getting a child to try something new? Does your youngster insist "I hate this!" even though he's never tried it before? Well, this may be the book for you. With lots of goofy pictures and ridiculous situations, "Green Eggs and Ham" has long been helpful in getting kids to try new foods.

The story follows the bubbly Sam-I-Am's efforts to convince his friend to eat green eggs and ham. He continues to pose the question: "Would you eat them..." adding a different qualifier each time. But each time, his friend refuses. "I will not eat green eggs and ham. I do not like them, Sam-I-Am!"

But finally, after running down an enormous list of possibilities of ways to eat the dish, Sam-I-Am has become so annoying to his friend that he agrees to try green eggs and ham if Sam-I-Am will leave him alone. After choking down the first bite, he discovers that he actually loves to eat it, and he goes on to say how he would eat it in every situation Sam-I-Am had mentioned earlier.

This is a really fun book with great illustrations. Not only does it show kids that sometimes it pays to be adventurous about eating, it also tests their memory to see if they can remember all the ways that green eggs and ham can be eaten. A great read for kids and their parents.

No comments:

Post a Comment