Saturday, March 11, 2000

Don't Be Horrified

When I think of Steven King, I tend to conjure of images of pulling a blanket over my eyes and letting out a bloodcurdling scream. This genius in making the spine tingle is not one for the faint of heart, and generally his books -- and his movies -- are far too frightening for me. But Eyes of the Dragon is different.

My dad is an avid Steven King fan, and knowing how I hate horror stories, he was thrilled when he came across this book. With reluctance, I agreed to let him read it to me. Steven King for a bedtime story? The thought was dubious at best. But as he read, I found in this book one of the finest fantasies to come from a current author. I was held in rapt attention each night as King's superb attention to detail and characterization made the tale come alive -- and in chapters short enough that Dad never had to stop reading in the middle of a chapter.

I couldn't have asked much more of this book as a fantasy. It was comparable in quality to the work of Brian Jacques and J. K. Rowling, and there were very few passages which would be inappropriate for young readers. The nightmare-inducing horrors typical of Stephen King books are all but absent here. King fans will enjoy this book as a deviation from the norm, and the lily-livered folks like me will enjoy it for the fine writing which we could not enjoy before. I wish he would write more books like this.

No comments:

Post a Comment