Tuesday, December 4, 2007

Melancholy Same Old Lang Syne Reflects Pain and Beauty of Life and Love

All my life, I've been in love with Christmas music. The first song I recall singing along with is Silver Bells, at the tender age of two. I associate the carols with trimming the tree, which has become less of a family event in recent years and more of an extended panic as we realize we have enough ornaments to fill three trees (which would be all right with me, and I'll get right on that as soon as Santa grants my wish for a spacious family room complete with a fireplace). I associate them with wrapping gifts and candle-lit services and kitschy holiday specials. I associate them with warmth and family and togetherness. The best of them fill me with joy, hope and wonder. They are optimistic and exuberant.

Except when they're not.

The "not" can be pinned on one song in particular, whose delicate piano undercurrent, gradually augmented by sighing strings, wakes me in the middle of the night when I have my radio tuned to the all-Christmas-music station throughout December. My subconscious seems to seek it out and gently shake me from my slumber to bask in its aching melancholy. Dan Fogelberg's Same Old Lang Syne is one of the least uplifting Christmas songs I've ever heard, and yet it remains one of my absolute favorites year after year. Perhaps it's important to be reminded that the joy of the season does not necessarily immunize us against painful experiences and can actually intensify them. I know few songs that seem so honest and gut-wrenching.

Over the course of four and half minutes, Fogelberg, possessor of a marvelously mellow voice especially suited for the sensitive, introspective songs he tends to write, recounts an encounter with his old girlfriend at the grocery store. They embrace, have a drink and get the scoop on each other's lives. She's stuck in a dispassionate marriage (and I always feel rather sorry for her husband, wondering how he could fail to identify himself in this very famous song and whether the marriage lasted). He's on the road all the time. They ache for the love they once shared, and we are left wondering if old acquaintances really are best forgotten when current circumstances conspire to keep them apart. The narrative is spread out across two plaintive choruses and three shrinking verses. The first - the awkward but giddy initial meeting - contains four stanzas; the second - playing catch-up with bittersweet small talk - contains three; the third - the regretful conclusion, with only the shadowy instrumental toast to follow - has a paltry two.

Fogelberg, harmonizing with himself, shows off his upper register in the chorus, which is frustratingly tricky to sing along with. Though the setting is Christmas, the spirit is New Year's, with all the mixed feelings encapsulated in Robert Burns' famous song. In fact, the title, the central toasts to Innocence, to Now and to Time and Michael Brecker's minor-key soprano saxophone solo of Auld Lang Syne that follows the conclusion of the lyrics all make it easy to get confused about which holiday is occurring. I used to wonder why they couldn't find an open bar on the biggest night of drunken revelry of the year, and then I would remember that "the snow was falling Christmas Eve". I do find the conclusion slightly worrisome, as it would seem that the meeting ends with two drunk, distraught drivers - though for a seasoned drinker, perhaps three beers wouldn't create much of a buzz...

I call this a Christmas song because it takes place on Christmas Eve and because it always gets such heavy airplay this time of year. It might be more appropriately described as a song that happens to take place on Christmas Eve, as I suspect Fogelberg still would have immortalized the occasion had it happened in April or August, though the compelling juxtaposition would be missing. The holiday itself provides an ironic undertone, accentuating the loneliness of both parties at a time when they should be at their happiest, celebrating with the ones they love most. I suppose it explains why there were no bars open, forcing the rendez-vous into the cramped quarters of the former flame's car, and the date on the calendar exponentially increases the impact of the song's final line. I can think of few drearier images than snow turning to rain on Christmas Eve.

The beauty of a relationship momentarily renewed is balanced against the grim knowledge that time changes things, for better or for worse. Decisions are made, the consequences of which we can never know at the time, the alternatives to which may always haunt us. Earlier this year, I took a crack at applying the song to the situation of Desmond in LOST, who also finds himself tugged by time, separated from his beloved. It's a pale imitation, but it's a credit to Fogelberg's talent that I hear the echoes of his recollection so clearly in other situations. In Same Old Lang Syne, we have a soliloquy that is at once intensely personal and widely applicable. And despite its painful contents, every time I listen to the song, I emerge with a deeper appreciation of how beautiful life is, how precious love is.

Mr. Fogelberg, I drink a toast to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment