Thursday, November 1, 2007

Enchantment Looms Large in Loch Ness

There are many movies I'm looking forward to as this year closes, most of which I probably won't catch in the theater. But I'm determined to at least venture out to the cineplex once for The Water Horse, a film about the Loch Ness Monster based on a book by Babe author Dick King-Smith. I'm not sure if it's the fact that King-Smith is one of my favorite authors or my fascination with legendary creatures or my utter infatuation with all things Scottish that puts this one firmly at the top of my to-see list, but there it sits, and in anticipation of its release, I recently re-watched Loch Ness, another charming film about that fabled beastie of the deep.

I stumbled upon the movie accidentally about ten years ago during one of those happy periods in which we had a free cable trial. At first, I didn't think I'd like it; for whatever reason, I had a notion in my head that a movie about the Loch Ness monster was likely to be scary, even though I've never found Nessie frightening in the least and even though this was the Family channel. I'm glad I stuck with it.

The movie, written by John Fusco and directed by John Henderson, centers on Dr. Jonathan Dempsey (Ted Danson), a washed-up scientist who has become a laughingstock since his intensive yeti research yielded nothing. He's become a hardened skeptic, so he's disgusted when his boss, Dr. Mercer (Harris Yulin), assigns him the task of investigating the Loch Ness monster using state-of-the-art equipment.

When he arrives in Scotland, the replacement for the aged Dr. Abernathy (Philip O'Brien), who met with an unfortunate accident during the course of his research, he meets Adrian Foote (James Frain), his earnest young research assistant. Soon, he also makes the acquaintance of Laura McFetridge (Joely Richardson), the tart owner of a bed and breakfast, and her affectionate, intuitive young daughter Isabel (Kristy Graham).

While Laura doesn't exactly make him feel at home, at least not initially, Dr. Dempsey's greatest resistance comes from other sources. He must contend with Andy Maclean (Nick Brimble), the jealous, hotheaded owner of a boat he rents, and the crusty water bailiff (Ian Holm), who disapproves of Dr. Dempsey's interference with the loch he has cared for all his life.

Danson seems to have cantankerous cynicism down to a science, so his character here isn't really anything new, but it's fun to watch him grumble his way through the sleepy town on the edge of Loch Ness until a glimpse of the creature changes his outlook. He's really not a bad guy, as evidenced by the fast friendship he forms with Isabel. When he's with her, he is at his most endearing; the adorable child brings out the best in him. It was his relationship with her that stuck most firmly in my memory from the first time around, though I also recalled him developing a romance with Laura and eventually coming to share Adrian's bright-eyed enthusiasm for Nessie.

What startled me upon the second viewing was that I had completely forgotten the keeper of the lake. Though he does not show up quite as much as the McFetridges or Adrian, his role in the drama is certainly an important one, and no doubt I would have remembered him had I seen this movie anytime after Fellowship of the Ring. Since then, I've found that Holm's presence elevates any film, so he was a lovely surprise. But top honors really must go to Graham, who was eight years old at the time and perfectly projects a sense of ethereality. She does such a splendid job, I can't imagine why she hasn't appeared in a film since.

The beautiful scenery, the lilting score tinged with traditional Scottish tunes such as Wild Mountain Thyme and the magic of Jim Henson's Creature Shop are the icing on the cake in this enchanting family film that dares you to believe...

No comments:

Post a Comment