Saturday, November 3, 2007

A Head-Spinning Sting Sawyer Couldn't Pull Off

For years, my dad has been telling me that I need to watch The Sting. We finally corrected that situation last week. Now, though I'm not quite sure I picked up on all the infinitesimal details of the film's plot, I'm considerably more aware than I was before, when I couldn't tell you much more about The Sting than the fact that it features one of my favorite pieces of music.

That piece is, of course, The Entertainer, the fantastic rag augmenting a piano-shaped music box that I have. When it comes to tickling the ivories, few songs are as satisfying, though my clunky fingers never quite managed to master it. The movie is full of bouncy ragtime numbers, but this most famous of Scott Joplin's compositions makes the biggest impression as it plays over the opening credits and helped fuel a resurgence in the popularity of this musical style. Ironically, the score that is such a part of the film's appeal is a bit anachronistic, as ragtime peaked in popularity considerably before the movie's late 1930s setting. But it just suits the energy and mood so well...

The Sting centers around Johnny Hooker (Robert Redford), a dashing young grifter who, motivated primarily by a lust for revenge and the thrill of the chase, enlists the aid of seasoned swindler Henry Gondorff (Paul Newman) to help him pull off a "big con" on Irish mob boss Doyle Lonnegan (Robert Shaw). ("Long con!" I hissed every time the phrase came up; I was reminded of Sawyer, LOST's wheedling con man, at every turn, and it certainly seems likely that The Sting is a film familiar to Josh Holloway and the writers who developed his character.)

A nice haul of cash is decent motivation too, though Johnny plays fast and loose with his money; I was appalled to see him toss away thousands of dollars on a single spin of the roulette. I couldn't imagine making such a hefty wager today, let alone in 1937. But high stakes are what his life is all about. He spends half the movie running from people; Redford must have gotten a good workout during the filming! It's certainly a dangerous way to live, but it makes for pretty engaging viewing.

What I find especially incredible about the movie is how many people are in on the elaborate con Johnny and Henry concoct. It's hard enough when you only have to worry about yourself and perhaps one other person; here, any one of many could be the rusty gear in a well-oiled machine. It would take a miracle to pull everything off perfectly.

Throughout the movie, Lonnegan frequently issues instructions concluding with a curt "You folla?" Were he directing the question to me, I would in all honesty have to say no. I watched it with my dad, who explained what was going on at every stop along the way so I could figure out what was happening. The plot twists and intricacies of the deceptions are a little too complex for my fluff-filled head, at least on the first viewing. I can't always keep track of Sawyer's solo shenanigans; throw a couple dozen accomplices into the mix and I'm hopelessly confused. But it's such a pleasant perplexity...

Not everyone is lucky enough to have a personal tour guide through the movie, so a second viewing may be advised for full enjoyment, but as long as you're paying attention, The Sting is a film as entertaining as its theme music suggests.

No comments:

Post a Comment