Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Ian Holm Puts on Napoleon's Garb in The Emperor's New Clothes

In 2002, I rang in the new year by seeing some of my favorite literary characters come to life on the big screen with The Fellowship of the Ring. Along with a thrilling movie experience, I gained a hefty list of actors, most of whom I'd never heard of before, to watch out for. Lord of the Rings cast members helped lead me to Pirates of the Caribbean, 13 Going on 30, On a Clear Day and, most notably, LOST. This week, I watched a film I'd selected mostly because it stars Ian Holm, who played my beloved Bilbo Baggins.

The Emperor's New Clothes has nothing to do with a man strutting around naked, though it does involve an adjustment of the titular character's pride. Still, more than that famous fable, this tale echoes The Prince and the Pauper as a ruler in exile switches places with a tipsy commoner as part of a plan to restore himself to power. This is no generic king. Alan Taylor's light-hearted slice of historical fiction re-imagines the traditional account of Napoleon's death, claiming it as inaccurate. The tale unfolds in a reasonably believable fashion, to the point that it's easy to forget that there is no factual basis to it.

If I weren't so fond of Holm just the way he is, I might be inclined to complain that perhaps the most iconic Frenchman of them all has an English accent. For the sake of my appreciative ears, however, I'll forgive it. I'm glad I had Holm as an anchor through this film because I was completely unfamiliar with every other actor involved, including Iben Hjejle, who plays Pumpkin, the melon-selling widow to whom Napoleon develops a romantic attachment. He does a marvelous job, clearly differentiating the two characters he plays and carrying himself with dignity as the emperor even though he's almost as short as Bilbo and many people he meets tower over him.

I was a tad surprised at how heavily the film leaned on Napoleon's side of the story, since generally in tales of this nature it seems the parallel stories are given somewhat equal attention. It soon becomes clear that the experience of Eugene Lenormand, the commoner who impersonates Napoleon, is of little consequence, aside from how it will affect the emperor. Still, I love the scenes with Eugene because they are among the funniest in the movie.

Napoleon has some comical bits too, particularly when he uses his tactical expertise to come up with a new business strategy for Pumpkin, but primarily his role is one of awakening. He gradually loses much of his arrogance and comes to discover that some things are more important than power, a realization that is soon tested...

The Emperor's New Clothes is an interesting movie with a charming streak of romance and idealism. Though it's classified as a comedy, I wouldn't really identify it as such; the wit is spread about sparingly so that there are some stretches of film that seem to stretch out excessively. Overall, though, this is a sweet and lovely movie. Especially if you like Ian Holm.

No comments:

Post a Comment