Friday, November 2, 2007

This Pachyderm Present is Perfectly Pleasant

Last year, when my favorite radio station decided to play nothing but Christmas music for the month of December, I discovered a lovely little novelty number entitled I Want a Hippopotamus for Christmas. I've always had a soft spot for hippos, so I could sympathize with the girl's plight, and besides, the song was just so darn catchy. It was sung by Gayla Peevey, who had a remarkably developed voice for a ten-year-old. I at first assumed it was a grown woman trying to sound little girl-ish, but she really was a little girl back in 1953, and thanks to her enthusiastic performance of John Rox's jingle, the Oklahoma City Zoo soon was able to buy its first hippopotamus, Matilda.

As an homage to my obsession with the song, I bought myself a hippo at Build-a-Bear when it had its grand opening here in Erie in September. Like Matilda, my hippo is female; I named her Minerva, after one of my favorite Hogwarts professors, and garbed her in a purple witch's outfit to match her fuzzy fur. Granted, hippos don't really have fur, and they're not really purple, either. But a massive purple hippo is just what I found on the front cover of I Want a Hippopotamus for Christmas, the picture book adaptation illustrated by Bruce Whatley.

The book, published in 2005, features a little girl in pink pajamas complete with footies; they remind me of Ralphie's get-up in A Christmas Story, sans the bunny accoutrements, and she seems much more content with her clothing than he did. She has a wide, gleaming grin and sparkling eyes, and her hair is a lustrous Ginny Weasley shade of red.

The hippo is huge, and his smile is even bigger. He seems absolutely thrilled to be in her living room on Christmas morning, apparently having decided that it was worth all the trouble of Santa shoving him through the door and wrapping him in striped paper just to see the delight on his new caretaker's face. It's hard to say which of them is more excited; in one illustration, the hippo is reflected in the joyful girl's indigo eyes, while another shows the ecstatic hippo's brown eyes reflecting the girl.

The illustrations are marvelous, depicting such amusements as her mopping his head in the garage to get him squeaky clean and riding with Santa in a hippo-drawn sleigh. My favorite picture, however, which made me laugh out loud when I saw it, is the first one in which we see the girl and the hippo together. She stares in open-mouthed ardor, while he stretches out his pudgy arms for a hearty hug. Meanwhile, Dad blinks up at the hippo in half-awake confusion while Mom claps a hand over her forehead in a gesture that indicates Santa may have a rather indignant letter headed his way.

The text of the book is basically the song lyrics, though for some reason the verses begin "I want a hippopotamus for Christmas, a hippopotamus is all I want," while in the song it's "I want a hippopotamus for Christmas, only a hippopotamus will do." I'm not sure why the change was made; maybe "only a hippopotamus will do" seemed too repetitive, since that is the way the line reads during the chorus. At any rate, a recording is, most unfortunately, not included - though sheet music is - so kids who haven't heard the song won't have Peevey's rendition as a basis for comparison.

Hippo lovers, or anyone who's ever craved an unusual gift come Christmas, will likely get kick out of this fun little book. If only Santa would bring me a hippo too!

No comments:

Post a Comment