Monday, October 29, 2007

Crispin Glover and His Furry Pals Crank Up the Creep Factor in Willard

I was hoping that this weekend I might finally catch Ratatouille at the dollar theater. Alas, I never managed to fit it in, but my brother Nathan came trotting home for the day with a most rat-tastic movie in tow, and now that I've seen it, I think it might be a while before I can embrace Remy and his fellow rodents with the proper amount of enthusiasm.

Glen Morgan's Willard is a 2003 remake of the 1971 film of the same name. When they realized what we were watching, Mom remarked that the original had given her nightmares, while Dad had avoided it altogether. Nathan had assured me, however, that while this version was certainly creepy, the gore was minimal, so I decided to chance it. After all, I've always found rats to be unfairly maligned creatures. I expected that when they showed up, I would find them lovable rather than disgusting, and I was right. For a while...

The focal point of the film is Willard Stiles (Crispin Glover), an extraordinarily awkward man who lives with his mean-tempered elderly mother (Jackie Burroughs) and works for the tyrannical Frank Martin (R. Lee Ermey) at the company his father founded. He remains friendless until he is moved to rescue a white rat from the adhesive trap his mother demanded he put up in the basement. He names the rat Socrates, and he is giddy with the thrill of finally having some companionship.

If it ended with this bright-eyed, philosophic rat that seems genuinely fond of the eccentric misfit, this might evolve into a touching story. Sadly, Socrates does not fly solo. Willard feeds him and his family, and every day more and more rats turn out for chow time. Initially, they do whatever he tells them to, taking their orders from Socrates, who evidently understands Willard's instructions. But how long can he maintain control over the ever-growing horde?

Back when this movie hit theaters, I saw an interview with Glover, who I knew as the nerdy, gutless George McFly in Back to the Future. I've seen plenty of strange interviews in my time; this one would have to rank in the top five. The guy just came across as a total oddball, almost as off-kilter as the character he was portraying. Now and then, I'll see a really offbeat interview with somebody like Johnny Depp or Viggo Mortensen and think, "Wow. He's so strange. I'd love to spend an afternoon chatting with him sometime." With Glover, I thought, "Wow. He's so strange. I wouldn't want to meet him in a dark alley."

Whether he consciously cultivates that image or he's genuinely that odd, Glover seems like the perfect choice to play the unhinged Willard, who swings between victim and villain, sympathetic and diabolical. His expressive face, which usually registers some combination of rage and fear or occasional maniacal glee, is almost ghostly pale. Every word spoken with his soft voice is impeccably pronounced. Watch for hyperventilation, beads of sweat and murderous gestures in response to the maddening behavior of his mom and boss.

Burroughs, heavily made up to look as grotesque as possible, is bone-chilling as Willard's mother, who hollers throatily at him from her room in the large house they share. Though she is dependent upon him for her well-being, she still calls the shots around the house, and she wants to be sure he knows it. She wins sympathy points for her medical condition and the loss of her husband, but her despicable treatment of Willard cancels out any automatic sense of goodwill we may have toward her. Ermey pours even more unpleasantness into his role; Mr. Martin seems about ready to have a coronary at any given moment, so eager is he to ream Willard out with an explosive temper tantrum. It's no wonder Rat Boy is so messed up when he's surrounded by people like this.

The only person who treats Willard with kindness is Cathryn (Laura Harring), the new girl at work who unknowingly displaces him when she arrives. Her first impression of him involves him getting berated by his boss, and she feels sorry for him, aghast that he is being treated so unfairly. She continues to extend her hand in friendship throughout the movie. But what will happen when she finds out about Willard's Pied Piper-like tendencies?

I like rats. And I found myself quite attached to Socrates, much as I did with Mr. Jingles, the mouse in The Green Mile. He's a terribly sweet little thing. But his friends are not, particularly when engaged in the mob mentality and when led by Ben, a defiant Rodent of Unusual Size. Not since Ratigan in The Great Mouse Detective have I come across such a vicious rat, and cinematographer Robert McLachlan does an impressive job of making him look distinctively ominous, while Shirley Walker's eerie score sends shivers in all the right places. As the crowd of a couple dozen rats swells to thousands and they stop obeying the restrictions Willard places upon them, the situation gets really hairy in more ways than one.

So while I found Nathan's assessment of the film pretty accurate - only two scenes are really grotesquely gory, while another two hint darkly at blood-curdling calamity - it wasn't exactly a comforting movie. It may be enough to leave me with the creepy crawlies all week, and if I catch myself jumping at small noises, especially from the general direction of the basement, I'll know why...

No comments:

Post a Comment