Monday, October 15, 2007

The Dogwalker is a Dog of a Movie

This week, thanks to a free month-long gift trial, I am at last taking the plunge into Netflix. It's one I've been contemplating for quite a while, and now that I'm getting a taste, I suspect I won't be able to resist hanging onto the subscription. I have a long list of movies I've been wanting to see, and I've already added a good many of them to my queue. While I wait for the first of my selected films to arrive, I have the free online viewing to enjoy, and last night I decided to take advantage of that. Dad had already gone to bed; Mom was dozing on the couch next to me, and so as not to wake her, I slipped on the headphones and tried to find a movie that looked mildly interesting, but not to the point that I would feel badly about watching it on my own. After a bit of browsing, I settled on The Dogwalker, a 1999 film I'd never heard of full of actors I'd never encountered before and written and directed by Paul Duran, with whom I was also unfamiliar. Would this be a diamond in the rough?

Well, it has the rough down. The film focuses on Jerry (Will Stewart), a down-on-his-luck schmuck who is spared the uncomfortable situation of using his broken-down car as lodgings when he accidentally lands himself a job as a dogwalker for the elderly Alma (Carol Gustafson). This premise was enough to draw me in. It was listed as a comedy, and I took its lack of a rating combined with the potentially feel-good elements of caring for canines and little old ladies as a sign that it would be some corny but charming Hallmark-style direct-to-video release. Ha! Within the first few minutes, which included copious amounts of profanity and drug use, mostly by Jerry's lewd, loud-mouthed friend K.C. (Cress Williams), I had adjusted my expectations for the movie considerably.

There are several aspects of The Dogwalker that could make for an engaging film. The most promising bits involve the intergenerational friendships that develop between Jerry and Alma and Jerry's sensitive friend Mones (Tony Todd) and Alma's elderly neighbor Ike (John Randolph). Unfortunately, one is insufficiently explored, while the other leads to a scene marking an abrupt change in an already uneven film. As for the pooch, always a welcome addition to any film as far as this dog lover is concerned, the generically named Lucky scarcely makes an appearance. Mom, who drifted in and out of sleep and occasionally glanced at the screen to see what was happening though she couldn't hear, commented to me later that in all her glimpses, she never spotted a dog. That's a shame because ultimately, the dog is the only one Jerry really manages to connect with.

That's not to say he doesn't do plenty of interacting. He and his buddies, when they're not smokin' and dopin', partake in awkwardly fun game nights with Alma and her friends, forming a most unconventional posse. And then there's Alma's daughter Helen (Stepfanie Kramer), who is high-strung and obnoxious, and though she can't seem to get along with anyone, including Jerry, she seduces him Mrs. Robinson-style, while her catty, perpetually gum-chewing teenage daughter Susan (Nicki Aycox) comes on to him at every possible opportunity. These scenes are much more uncomfortable than alluring, and most of the intended comedic moments were too crude to evoke many laughs from me.

The Dogwalker has its moments, but they are few and far between. I suspect there was a reason I never heard of this movie. If you come across it, I suggest you walk the other way.

No comments:

Post a Comment