Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Surreal Carnival of the Animals a Showcase for Lithgow's Skill

When I first happened upon John Lithgow's Micawber in a bookstore several years ago, I had my cynical doubts as to whether this esteemed actor was equally talented in another creative area, but I was so entranced by C. F. Payne's cover artwork, featuring an adorable squirrel trying his paw at painting, that I shrugged my reservations aside. Boy, am I glad I did. Since then, I've come to regard Lithgow as one of my favorite poets. His exquisite skill as a wordsmith is enviable, and I know that if I see his name on a book, when I crack open that cover I will be in for a wholly engaging read.

So when I stumbled upon Carnival of the Animals the other day, I was thrilled. This book was originally written for the New York City Ballet after Lithgow was approached by choreographer Christopher Wheeldon to write the narration for a ballet based on Camille Saint-Saene's Carnival of the Animals. Lithgow complied and even performed in the production himself, as readers can see from the cast photograph included at the end of the book.

Though it was designed to work alongside movement on the stage, it works very well as a children's book. Oliver Pendleton Percy, a mischievous young scamp as is pretty typical for Lithgow's protagonists, sneaks away from his class on a trip to the museum and finds himself locked in for the night, at which point he becomes immersed in a surreal dreamscape of the sort Maurice Sendak might dream up. The illustrator on this occasion, however, is Boris Kulikov, who uses gouache and acrylic to give us a look at Oliver's skewed visions, which involve various acquaintances prancing about the museum in animal form.

These include Oliver's schoolmates, who transform into songbirds (the girls) and donkeys (the boys), while their younger siblings become rats. Various authority figures are transfigured as well. The school nurse becomes an lumbering elephant, the shy librarian a kangaroo, the irate music teacher a yowling baboon. My favorite page involves an elderly pair of eccentric twin sisters-turned-tortoises who, much like Chuck's aunts on Pushing Daisies, hide a wealth of talent behind those closed blinds.

While Kulikov's illustrations don't blow me away like Payne's, they work well with the text, which is just as brilliant as I have come to expect. The rhyme scheme varies throughout the book, but most pages include a six-line stanza in ABAAAB format. In addition to the lilting quality of his verse, Lithgow uses some pretty fantastic vocabulary. Among the more challenging words he incorporates: cantankerous, fussbudget, pachyderm, tremulous, manic-depressive, gargantuan and, my favorite, diaphanous.

The only real problem with this book is that it's more a list of characters than an actual story. There is a basic plot: boy gets locked in a museum overnight, boy has bizarre dream as a result, boy goes home. But while all of the human-animal characters do something, what they do doesn't really have any impact on Oliver. He watches it all happen but isn't really involved, and the various characters don't interact much with each other. So as a story, it's not as fulfilling as Lithgow's other books, but it's so artfully presented that I'm not particularly bothered by that.

Because of this book's origins, it presents a good opportunity to introduce children to ballet, to say nothing of museums, and the book's device of assigning humans an animal form based on notable characteristics is full of creative possibilities. What type of animal would you be? How about your teacher? Your neighbor? Kids can talk about it, write about it, even draw their own dreamscape portraits of folks they know. Carnival of the Animals is a great book for getting those gears turning and, if you've never read him before, a fantastic introduction to one of the most accomplished poets writing today.

No comments:

Post a Comment