Tuesday, January 18, 2000

Never Too Busy for Busy Town

When I was very young, my first imaginary friend was not one whom I had dreamed up on my own. He was Lowly Worm. I had never seen The Busy World of Richard Scarry back then; I'm not even sure if it existed. I met Lowly through Richard Scarry's books, and he and I got along just great. Then, years later when I had all but forgotten about my invisible invertebrate playmate, I came across "The Busy World of Richard Scarry". My brother was about the age I had been when I first fell in love with Lowly, and we watched the show together. Much to my delight, Lowly sounded exactly as I had imagined him. I grew to love the other characters as well - and the crazy situations they got themselves into.

It really is a busy town, and there's always something to see. The scenery is ingenious. You could spend the whole time just looking at the vehicles. But besides the visual spectacular, most of the shows also teach a lesson. Once in a while there's even a history lesson, though they take certain liberties with those. Counting lessons are a hoot with so much interesting stuff to count, and when Lowly warns Huckle Cat to pick up his toys there are plenty of toys to trip over, with hilarious results that drive the point home. With so much happening at once, there's something for just about every kid in this gently zany world.

No comments:

Post a Comment