Thursday, March 31, 2011

Jan Brett Tackles a Traditional Classic in Goldilocks and the Three Bears

I have always loved stories about bears. One of the first of these tales to enchant me, and many other youngsters, was Goldilocks and the Three Bears. I’ve seen many different versions of this story, some straightforward, some with an unusual spin. Jan Brett, one of my favorite author-illustrators, came out with The Three Snow Bears a couple years back, and I found it a wonderful take on the classic story with an Inuit twist. But I hadn’t realized that she also tackled the tale in a more traditional form. If I were going to introduce a young child to the story now, I think Brett’s Goldilocks and the Three Bears might just be the version I would pick.

Brett retells the tale, but it’s such a simple story with such familiar contours that as I read it for the first time, it felt like the story I’d my parents read to me when I was a toddler. A note on the copyright page indicates that the book was adapted from The Green Fairy Book, edited by Andrew Lang. I wonder if I ever ran across that version… At any rate, it seems Brett didn’t have to change much. She worded things in her own way, and there’s a certain elegance to the sentences, but it’s also basic and repetitive enough that young children will be able to recite along with the bears’ exclamations before long.

The book features only four characters, at least in terms of having anything to do with the story at hand. Goldilocks is a little girl with long golden braids who stumbles upon the cottage of the three bears while they are away from home, out enjoying a morning walk. Brett does not actually give the bears names, merely descriptions. So instead of Papa, Mama and Baby Bear, we have “a little, small, wee bear,” “a middle-sized bear” and “a great, huge bear.” Every time she mentions the bears, she uses this precise terminology.

Goldilocks and the bears alike wear clothing that shows a Scandinavian influence. The book never indicates what country we are supposed to be in; my guess would be Norway, but I’m not certain. I love the vibrant colors and the intricate patterns, and I especially love the bears’ cozy home, which is entwined with trees and rather resembles the abode of an Ewok, the teddy bear-like indigenous Endor residents from Return of the Jedi. It’s completely charming.

One thing I appreciate about this version is that it allows me to sympathize with Goldilocks more than usual. I mean, she really is a pretty presumptuous girl, but Brett presents her in such a way that she merely seems endearingly curious, not to mention exhausted and hungry after her disorienting trek through the woods. Nobody ever seems to give Snow White a hard time for making herself at home in the house of the seven dwarfs, but I tend to see Goldilocks as more of a mischief-maker than a girl in distress. Here, it’s easier to see her in a positive light, making me wonder whether she would actually flee the bears at the end of this story or if they would take pity on her and befriend her.

One of the most distinctive attributes of Brett’s books is her use of borders. In this book, it’s not as pronounced as in some, but on several pages, the narrow strips on either side of a two-page spread offer a window into what is happening elsewhere in the tale. If the main painting shows the bears at home preparing porridge, we see Goldilocks on her way in the border. If she is the primary focus of the two-page spread, we see the bears on the sides, wandering through the woods. Additionally, these borders give us a glimpse of a family of mice, or at least a representation of them. It looks as though they are carved in wood, and the design is quite lovely.

I can always count on Jan Brett to come up with appealing takes on folktales, some of which are familiar to me, some of which aren’t. Few tales have been with me as long as Goldilocks and the Three Bears has, and it’s wonderful to see it in such great hands.

No comments:

Post a Comment