Monday, March 28, 2011

High School Nemeses Reunite in You Again

When I was in high school, I was pretty easily identifiable as a nerd. Happily, however, I never had a nemesis striving to make my school days miserable. This can’t be said of Marni (Kristen Bell), the main character in the 2010 comedy You Again, written by Moe Jelline and directed by Andy Fickman. She most definitely had a tormenter, and she is horrified to learn, after a few years away from home making it big at a PR firm, that her beloved older brother Will (James Wolk) is about to marry Joanna (Odette Annable), the woman who bullied her so relentlessly in high school. Even more galling, Joanna claims not to remember her.

Marni is furious and determined to break up the impending nuptials. She doesn’t buy Joanna‘s nice-girl act one bit. Meanwhile, as she plots sabotage, her mother (Jamie Lee Curtis) discovers that Joanna‘s aunt (Sigourney Weaver) is her very own high school chum, with whom her relationship went sour. While the middle-aged women try to keep their hostility for one another veiled, Marni scarcely disguises her contempt for her sister-in-law-to-be. Caught in the crossfire of all these negative vibes is good-natured Will. Is there any hope for his marriage?

This movie boasts a cast full of A-listers, which I’m guessing is the main reason that the first time my friend and I tried to rent it, all 20-odd copies were out. In addition to Bell, Weaver and Curtis, there’s Victor Garber as Marni‘s father, who is gently befuddled by all the drama unfolding around him; Kristin Chenoweth as a vivacious dance instructor helping the family prepare for the big reception; and Betty White as Bunny, Marni‘s zesty grandmother. Though less of a big name, I also recognized Wolk from the short-lived drama Lone Star, and he fares well in providing much of the movie’s heart. All of the actresses turn in primarily comedic performances, with slapstick particularly prevailing toward the end.

I found each of the main quartet to be fairly likable, though all of them stoop at some point to ludicrous behavior. Although I sympathized with her, I found Marni the most abrasive of the characters, and I was a little turned off by the extent of her grudge against Joanna. Granted, she suffered great abuse in high school, and certainly an apology is warranted, but some of her actions are still inexcusable. But then the movie’s premise wouldn’t really work if everybody took the high road. This is a movie that requires a massive catfight followed by reconciliation.

White is hilarious as always here, stealing whatever short scenes she has. Annable is the only major cast member I didn’t recognize, and she does a good job of making her character likable despite what we know about her past. Some of the humor is pretty absurd, but I laughed several times, and I enjoyed the heartwarming bits as well. I’m glad we didn’t give up after our first rental attempt because You Again is plenty of fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment