Monday, January 31, 2011

Downey and Galifianakis Make Odd Driving Buddies in Due Date

I love the dollar theater. I went there loads of times in college, and it’s still an ideal destination for a last-minute outing. There aren’t as many options there as at the main theater – half a dozen as opposed to upwards of a dozen – but it’s almost a guarantee that one of the movies playing will be something I haven’t seen before and that I can tolerate. For just a buck or two, I don’t mind if I don’t love it. I just want to get some enjoyment out of the viewing experience.

My latest dollar movie was Due Date, the road trip buddy comedy directed by Todd Phillips. It reminded me of several other movies, most recently Dinner for Schmucks. You’ve got an uptight but basically decent businessman and the lovable loser who latches onto him. The oddball brings a lot of turmoil into the normal guy’s life, but ultimately he decides their unlikely friendship is worth all the hurdles. This is also a road trip comedy, so sprinkle in some strange characters and situations encountered along the way, plus with a whole lot of erratic driving, and you’ve got a pretty good idea of what to expect here.

Due Date stars Robert Downey, Jr. as Peter Highman, a man who just wants to get home to his wife in time for the birth of their first child. Downey brings a jittery sort of energy to his performance that makes me think of Woody Allen. Peter’s a smart guy with a lot to be stressed out about, with the result that he is often surly. Meanwhile, Zach Galifianakis makes Ethan Tremblay, the aspiring actor who Peter ends up stuck traveling cross-country with, a cuddly teddy bear of a fellow – who you just sort of want to throttle now and then.

Generally, both characters are likable, but Peter needs to learn to loosen up and Ethan to wake up. His obliviousness to the world around him is sometimes alarming – especially when he’s behind the wheel. The other companion on their road trip is Ethan’s dog, but he doesn’t add much aside from a recurring crude joke. And it’s the crudeness that kept me from really getting into this movie, along with the profanity. I find that I’d like most R-rated comedies better if they were PG-13, since most of what’s added with the higher rating feels very gratuitous.

Jamie Foxx has a brief but fairly enjoyable role as Peter’s old friend Darryl, and Michelle Monaghan brings a definite sweetness to Peter’s wife Sarah, who we primarily encounter over the phone. Mostly, though, this is about Peter and Ethan, and despite obnoxious qualities on the part of both characters, I was rooting for them to make it through their journey and remain friends. While I’m glad I didn’t pay full price for it, Due Date was a decent way to spend an afternoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment