Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Walt and El Grupo Explore South America

A couple weeks ago, I rented Waking Sleeping Beauty, a documentary about the exciting period in Disney history that largely lined up with my own childhood and included such classics as The Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin and The Lion King. On that DVD were previews for two other Disney documentaries. I was very interested in The Boys: The Sherman Brothers’ Story, so that went into my queue next. However, when I saw that Walt and El Grupo, which deals with the time during the 1940s when Walt Disney and several of his employees went to South America on a goodwill tour / research trip, would soon be available on Live Streaming Video, I decided to go that route and not worry about the DVD Special Features. As I suspected, while this was still an interesting peek into Disney history, it didn’t keep me as riveted as the others.

Walt and El Grupo was written and directed by Theodore Thomas, son of famed Disney animator Frank Thomas, one of the few people spotlighted in the movie who was familiar to me. Another was artist Mary Blair, known, among other things, for her work on Disneyland attraction it’s a small world. As for everybody else, I was chagrined to realize that I recognized nearly no names that were tossed out throughout the documentary, which made it a little hard to connect with at times, especially since roughly half of the interviewees did not speak English, and at times, the subtitles were pretty hard to read against light backgrounds.

But boy, did we get a lot of Walt, and that was the best part of the movie for me. There were clips of interviews with Walt Disney, videos and photographs of him embracing the cultures of the various cities he visited with his crew, and especially lots of people reminiscing about their memories of him and what a stir he caused everywhere he went. He was only about 40 during this trip, and despite the unfortunate circumstances that partly precipitated it – an animators’ strike that halted work at the studio – he seems to have embraced the journey with gusto, and it was a joy to listen to stories of his interaction with the locals at every leg of the voyage.

There are a lot of talking heads in this movie, and I often found it hard to keep track of who was who, especially among the South Americans. It didn’t help that many of the interview subjects were spouses or children or grandchildren. I often forgot which interviewee went with which member of “el grupo,” the general name used for the group of people who went with Walt Disney on that trip. There was also a fair bit video depicting scenery and culture, but these parts tended to be in rather extended sequences that went on a little too long. I think there could have been a better balance of interviews to travelogue-type scenes.

Aside from the parts about Disney himself, what I found most interesting were the discussions on Saludos Amigos and The Three Caballeros, the two movies that came out of this venture. The documentary includes several clips from both, certainly enough to whet the appetite of anyone who hasn’t seen those movies. As Disney features go, they’re a little unusual, but I still enjoy them, and it’s neat to get some background on them.

Of the three Disney documentaries I’ve watched this month, Walt and El Grupo was the one that felt the most like a documentary to me. It never really pulled me out of that mindset, largely because it was primarily about an experience rather than specific people. I was able to latch onto Walt Disney to a certain extent, but since so much of that was second-hand, it still didn’t feel that immediate. I certainly recommend the movie to anyone interested in Disney history, but this isn’t one I’ll feel compelled to add to my collection.

No comments:

Post a Comment