Monday, November 22, 2010

Hilarious Performances and Sage Speeches Make Christmas in July a Gift

I love Netflix, the Internet DVD rental service that has been so helpful to me in expanding my movie knowledge, but at times I find it frustrating. This is especially true this time of year. From mid-November on, I have a keen interest in watching Christmas movies, but Netflix has no category set aside for seasonal flicks. The only way for me to browse such movies is to enter a Christmas-related keyword and hope for the best. This means that I’ve wound up with a lot of movies with “Christmas” in the title, the latest of which isn’t even a Christmas movie. However, despite getting off to a somewhat shaky start, it is quite a cute movie, so I don’t really mind the lack of seasonal connection.

Christmas in July, written and directed by Preston Sturges, is a short movie, barely more than an hour long. Released in 1940, it’s a black and white film that focuses upon Jimmy MacDonald (Dick Powell), a rather hot-headed young man obsessed with the thought of winning a slogan contest for a coffee company. I watched this just after watching That Thing You Do!, the fun Tom Hanks film about an Erie-based one-hit wonder band’s swift rise to fame, and I had to laugh when I realized the character’s name was Jimmy, as that’s also the name of that movie’s ultra-serious songwriter. This Jimmy reminded me a lot of him initially. He’s a sourpuss, he doesn’t seem very attentive to his girlfriend and he’s obsessed with making weird puns that nobody else really gets. I knew there was a romantic storyline, but I assumed Jimmy was the typical jerk boyfriend and that the main character would be a sweet guy who Jimmy’s current girlfriend would realize was much better for her. I was surprised, then, when I realized that Jimmy was the main character.

My biggest complaint with the movie would have to be this abrupt shift in characterization. For the first ten minutes or so, he comes across as argumentative and dismissive, and I found myself wondering why sweet, demure Betty (Ellen Drew) ever got together with him in the first place. And then he mentions his mom. And suddenly, he’s this incredibly sweet Mama’s boy who just wants to give his impoverished mother and his girlfriend the finer things in life. This desperation to do well by them is what drives him to such obnoxious behavior. He’s just stressed to the max. Still, the shift is so abrupt and complete that it gave me whiplash. Could’ve been handled a bit better if you ask me.

The movie’s premise is that, as a prank, some of Jimmy’s coworkers decide to send him a phony telegram informing him that he’s won this contest. Everything is so disorganized that when he goes in to claim the check, the president of the coffee company doesn’t question it, and Jimmy’s amazing streak of luck continues. It’s pretty silly and totally dependent on the complete incompetence of several people. Maxford House coffee company has been building up to a huge coffee slogan contest for ages, but on the day of the big announcement of the winner, they still haven’t chosen one, and their communication with the guy in charge is abhorrent. Everything about this setup, which is established early in the movie, exposes this company as very poorly run indeed. What ridiculous lack of planning!

But this is a comedy, so that’s okay, and Raymond Walburn is hilarious as Dr. Maxford, who, like J. Jonah Jameson in the Spider-Man movies, always seems about two seconds away from having a coronary. He revels in shouting at his underlings in the most animated of language, often employing strange metaphors like “a gang of horse whistles who wouldn't know a slogan from a poke in the eye with a stick!” When he’s not busy blowing a gasket, his dry sarcasm is just as funny.

Ernest Truex is a bit more restrained as J. B. Baxter, a higher-up at Jimmy’s company. He does have quite the temper, and he’s jumping to quick conclusions when we first see him, getting all worked up over Jimmy’s display of euphoria in the workplace. When he realizes why he’s so happy, however, all is forgiven, and Jimmy actually gets a promotion because of it. If he could win such a prestigious contest, then he must be good at coming up with slogans, even if they don’t make a lot of sense to Mr. Baxter. He’s a funny character because there’s so much artifice in what he does. Jimmy impresses him because somebody rich and important awarded him a prize, and he’s more inclined to trust that person’s opinions than his own. He’s a nice enough guy, a bit of a softie underneath a lot of bluster, but he’s a good example of what can be wrong with the world of business.

While Dr. Maxford is my favorite character by virtue of how very entertaining he is, the character I like the most is probably Jimmy’s immediate boss, the very level-headed E. L. Waterbury, who serves almost a Dumbledore role in this movie as he tries to mentor the jittery Jimmy. His little speech to him toward the beginning has deep resonance today in a time of economic crisis.

“I used to think about $25,000 too, and what I'd do with it. That I'd be a failure, if I didn't get a hold of it. And then one day I realized that I was never gonna have $25,000, Mr. MacDonald. And then another day... a little bit later - considerably later - I realized something else - something I'm imparting to you now, Mr. MacDonald. I'm not a failure. I'm a success. You see, ambition is all right if it works. But no system could be right where only half of one percent were successes and all the rest were failures - that wouldn't be right. I'm not a failure. I'm a success. And so are you, if you earn your own living and pay your bills and look the world in the eye.”

A good thing to remember.

The title comes from the scene in which Jimmy, having received his check, decides to play Santa Claus and buy presents for everybody in his neighborhood, an act of extravagant generosity that I wouldn’t have thought capable of that snappish grump in the opening. During this scene, one character refers to another as Hitler, and the name Mussolini is later tossed out. I found this interesting, considering the fact that World War II was just heating up at the time that this movie came out.

Christmas in July is a light-hearted movie about ambition and luck and where the two meet. It doesn’t have much to do with Christmas, but if you don’t mind a bit of silliness, it is pretty entertaining.

No comments:

Post a Comment