Saturday, July 9, 2005

The "Equarium" and More in Baltimore

One of the shorter stops on my family’s recent road trip was Baltimore, Maryland, a city I’ve visited a few times. Come to think of it, none of the places we went were locations I’d never been to before. My major trip to Baltimore was about 10 years ago. When I was in middle school, my dad had to go to Baltimore for a conference. Since it occurred during the summer, since I was getting picked up from my grandparents’ in nearby York anyway, and since it just seemed like a fun family vacation, we all went with him. We were put up in a fancy hotel, and we spent considerable time wandering around the Inner Harbor. I recall the lights of the city reflecting in the night-time water; peddling around the bay with my brother Benjamin in one of the little boats reserved for that purpose; going to a crab shack located on a boat and witnessing Dad’s disdain as he tried to crack the critter open; practically being knocked over by a young woman jumping up and down and begging, with religious fervor, for money to buy milk for her infant; and spending a few hours at the Baltimore Aquarium (which young Nathan referred to as an “equarium” in a car game on the ride home).

This time our trip would only be for the day. We set off from my aunt’s house near Washington, D. C. We made good time and got to Baltimore by 11:30 or so and found a parking lot pretty quickly, right by the inner harbor. It was a short walk to the aquarium, which we had already decided we wanted to visit again. I had announced earlier that I wanted to ride the paddleboats. I think that's their proper name, but pedalboats would be more appropriate. They're what Fred Flintstone would ride in if he ever traveled across the water. Anyway, we turned a corner and there were the boats, and scattered amongst them were these glorious sea serpents, slightly akin to the swan boats seen in Lothlorien. I wanted not only to ride one but to own one. I mentioned it all day. Nobody else was interested. I didn't think they would be, especially after we noticed how polluted the water was. But it gave me a boost just to see them.

We had to wait in line to get tickets to the aquarium. While Mom did that, the rest of us sat around and looked at our surroundings. We were in the aquarium by noon. The first thing you see is a huge pool filled with sharks, manta rays and sea turtles. It's a gorgeous sight. They all look so graceful, especially the rays. We watched them swim for a while before moving on to the rest of the exhibits. I like all animals, but I don't get as excited about fish as mammals, especially when there are huge crowds around small tanks, making it very hard to see. Still, there were lots of fun fish to observe, especially the sea horses, and I began thinking that a very fun job would be traveling around the country and visiting a different zoo every day and writing a book about it. That would be groovetacular. Dad and I were a bit less energetic than the other three for some reason, but we still had a good time. I loved the rainforest that we were able to walk through. It was perhaps my favorite part. The animals were very close. A bird probably could have landed on my head. There was also an expansive shark display and finally the dolphin show, which Nathan taped. I was a little bummed we didn't get there earlier and get in the splash zone, but we still had a good view. Afterwards I went and saw them underwater. I bought postcards, but then I was mildly annoyed because they were 50 cents each, and if I'd known that I only would've gotten a couple. They were just animal pictures that said "Baltimore Aquarium" on them, with no prices in sight. I went and made a pressed penny for Mom too. They had 12 different designs; I picked the manta ray. I think they're very cool.

When we got out of the aquarium, we called my aunt Barb and her fiance Chuck, who were just a couple blocks away. We met them halfway, and I found a clownfish magnet from the aquarium sitting under a bench. Lucky me! Mom wanted to eat at the same crab shack we’d patronized before. Probably not to Dad's disappointment, the place had closed, but Chuck took us to what he said was the best seafood in Baltimore. Philip's did have very good food, as well as a band playing in the next room. It was a little more expensive and the portions a little smaller than expected, but my lobster and crab was quite tasty.

Our next stop was the Cheesecake Factory, but we decided to do some shopping in between. I picked up a bunch of postcards, including some nice Washington ones, and I also got a deck of Washington playing cards, a pen with a Lincoln bust on the top and his signature on the rest of the pen, and a Chipmunk-sized Abraham Lincoln figurine. The purchase that tickled me the most, however, was the whistle I bought at the stand where they sell tickets for the DUCK tours. It's shaped like a duck bill and it quacks! How great is that? I was good, though. I only used it a few times. Our cheesecake was delicious. I got raspberry lemon. They were very large pieces, too. It was still before 5 at this point I think, but everyone was already talking about heading back. I would have been happy to stay all evening, but we wanted to get a chance to visit with our relatives in York a bit.

We headed towards the car, but first we watched a free juggling show. This guy was pretty weird, and I wasn't all that impressed with most of his antics. He did do some interesting tricks, though, especially with swords and fire. I was sitting next to a guy who was really enjoying the show. A few cute kids volunteered themselves as assistants. It was a fun little diversion. Before we left, we had to get our picture with a crab. They have crabs all around town with different decorations, a community art project just like the fish and frogs we have in Erie. These things were cool, but they were pretty skinny and small. At least they were festive. The sun was right in our eyes as Dad took the pictures, so I think there was a whole lot of squinting going on, but a couple of them turned out really nice anyway. We also got a great shot of our group (sans Dad, the photographer) across the bay from the aquarium.

I can’t really comment too much on the city at large, since my experience is pretty much limited to the Inner Harbor. But it’s a fun place to spend the day. The aquarium cost us $18 each, a price that included the dolphin show. We spent about three hours there, which is about average; the tickets to the dolphin show are for a particular time, and they basically figure it’s about enough time for you to have gotten through the aquarium. Lunch and cheesecake were fairly expensive; I think my meal was about $20 and the cheesecake probably close to $10. Most of the shops in the malls along the harbor boasted very reasonable prices, however. I think my postcards were 6 for a dollar, and none of my other purchases broke the bank, either. I think my duck whistle only set me back three dollars. Add to that the “free” entertainment (donations are, of course, welcome) and the beautiful boats, and there are plenty of worthwhile options available. Since everything is so concentrated in one area, the Inner Harbor is ideal for a day trip. Meanwhile, if you have a few more days to spend, I’m sure there’s plenty more to love in Baltimore. Just watch out overenthusiastic beggars.

No comments:

Post a Comment