Thursday, July 14, 2005

Quoth the Raven, "Nevermore!" Doubt Snicket's Talent, That Is

I soon will be taking a break from A Series of Unfortunate Events. Certainly this isn’t because I dislike the series, and I actually don’t mind an excuse to stretch it out longer, since I only have four books left and when they run out, that will be more depressing than the stories themselves. No, this halt in my reading stems from the fact that tomorrow – Saturday, to be exact, though midnight feels like the same day to me – heralds the arrival of a book for which I have waited for two years. A tome considerably longer than any of Lemony Snicket’s volumes, one that could last a week if I restrain myself to a few chapters a day. The book? Why, Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, of course. Maddeningly, J. K. Rowling picked an inopportune weekend from my standpoint. I will be in central Pennsylvania, at the reunion and in the location about which I wrote my book The Land That Gives and Takes Away: Reflections on Little Pine Valley. There may actually be an opportunity for me to attend a Harry Potter release party, as my aunt works at a bookstore in Williamsport, but even if I go I don’t intend to crack open the first page until I arrive back home. I look forward to this trip all year, and if I start reading Harry I won’t have any time to appreciate the fact that I’m camping. I’ll be too immersed. So in anticipation of camping and Harry, I write my last Lemony Snicket review for a while. Suffice it to say, at least as of this book, he hadn’t lost his touch.

The Vile Village is the seventh installment of the lamentable saga of the Baudelaire orphans. The first four books were fairly self-contained, featuring the loyal and resourceful Violet, Klaus and Sunny, with side appearances by ineffective executor Mr. Poe and the loathsome Count Olaf in some ludicrous new disguise. With the fifth book, The Austere Academy, Snicket changed the game a bit. Now not only do the Baudelaires have to worry about themselves, they are determined to rescue their friends, the Quagmires, who have fallen into Olaf’s clutches. They have little to go on aside from the mysterious letters “V. F. D.,” the mystery of which they erroneously thought they solved in the sixth book, The Ersatz Elevator. When they encounter the initials here, they dare to hope that they’ve hit upon something more substantial this time. So it is that they find themselves under the care of a new guardian: the entire town of V. F. D., taking the axiom “It takes a village to raise a child” perhaps a little further than originally intended.

As it happens, however, the Baudelaires have only one man directly responsible for their care once they reach V. F. D., an unsightly village in the middle of a dusty expanse that seems to waver from a distance due to its immersion in crows. While the Council of Elders, a severe group whose youngest members are octogenarians, is only interested in the orphans as a means to get out of doing their own chores, Hector, the town handyman, takes the children into his home and proves their best guardian since the late, great Uncle Monty. The problem? Timidity, which seems to be a rampant shortcoming amongst Baudelaire guardians. Gullibility is another, but at least Hector never is taken in by the lies of which the Baudelaires continue to be the victims. In fact, were it not for his unshakable fear of elderly council members in crow hats, he would be most effective. As it is, his willingness to harbor a library full of illegal books and a workshop full of tools for making illegal mechanical devices helps the Baudelaires a great deal.

The suspicion that moving to V. F. D. would bring them closer to their friends seems to be confirmed when the Hector finds a couplet bearing Isadora’s handwriting and distinct literary style. The couplets continue to arrive, leaving Violet, Klaus and Sunny increasingly puzzled. More complications arise when they hear the triumphant announcement of Count Olaf’s arrest. Could it be that their insidious foe has finally been bested? Or could something far more sinister be afoot? Questions pile up in this book as the narratorial backstory becomes more enmeshed in the orphans’ travails. At one point in the story, the orphans even hear the name Snicket – and seem to recognize it. The cleverness of the author continues to impress me, though I surprised myself by figuring out the whereabouts of the Quagmire triplets about a hundred pages before the Baudelaires did. Maybe I’m catching on!

Snicket’s literary prowess hasn’t diminished, and he amusingly pokes fun at shoddy newspapers by pointing out repeated mistakes in The Daily Punctilio, the newspaper published in the Baudelaires’ hometown. It seems he has a particular grudge against this paper, as he mentions it as a key player in the demise of his relationship with the fabled Beatrice. One thing I found very amusing was his reference throughout the book to the phrase “small potatoes.” He tends to have one phrase that pops up in a similar fashion in most of his books; in The Austere Academy, for instance, it was “making a mountain out of a molehill,” and “small potatoes” is used to similar purpose, most entertainingly – and perilously – just before the book’s climax.

The Vile Village is Snicket’s most complex tome yet, with by far the most nebulous ending, and I can’t wait to see what awaits the Baudelaires next. I also can’t wait to find out more about how the narrator got swept up in this orphans’ ordeal. Actually, I can, because I must. But oh, how sweet will my return to A Series of Unfortunate Events be.

No comments:

Post a Comment