Sunday, August 10, 2003

Just Married Is Just Appalling

When I heard the news that Ashton Kutcher was the top contender along with Prince William for the distinction of Bachelor of the Year, I could scarcely believe it. What kind of a comparison is that? Prince Charming vs. Lord of the Goofballs. I never found out who won; I was afraid I might discover that Ashton had inexplicably received the honor (and why was he even considered a bachelor, with his high-profile relationship with Demi Moore?). Okay. So I don’t like Ashton Kutcher. And his starring in Just Married was one of the reasons I had so little interest in the movie. That, and I just thought it looked really dumb. But I caught it at the dollar theater with a couple of friends, curious to see if it was as awful as I thought it would be. Suffice it to say, it was.

Ashton plays Tom Leezak, a clueless bozo reminiscent of his role as Kelso in That 70s Show. He meets Sarah McNerney (Brittany Murphy) as a result of a freak accident on the beach, wherein he knocks her out with a football. By the next morning they’re smooching away in a beach house declaring their love for one another. When Roger and Anita knocked each other in the pond and fell in love in 101 Dalmatians, it was cute. In Just Married, it is just the beginning of many catastrophes to come.

Sarah lives the good life. The really good life. She’s filthy rich, while Tom scrapes by a living as a disk jockey. While Sarah’s parents encourage her to accept the affections of Ivy Leaguer Peter Prentis (Christian Kane), Sarah insists that it is Tom whom she loves. In fact, they’re already living together for quite some time before the marriage makes it official. Throughout the entire period leading up to the wedding, Tom’s self-serving, juvenile behavior won no points with me. In one scene, apparently intended to be one of the biggest laugh-generators of the film (it did get quite a chuckle from the audience in my theater), Tom throws a ball out the second-story window and Sarah’s dog leaps out to catch it and is hit by a car. I found the scene cringe-worthy. To make things worse, Tom lies about what happened, an act which will come back to haunt him later in the movie.

The movie itself is mostly one long flashback, as it begins with Sarah and Tom huffily leaving the airport and resuming their own lives, separately. Tom soon becomes miserable, however, and reminisces on their relationship and what went wrong. So we know from the start that the marriage is doomed, at least for a while. It takes all but about ten minutes at the end of the movie to see it played out with as many cheap gags and gross-out moments as possible. I probably laughed two or three times in this movie. The rest of the time I groaned.

As their vacation mishaps pile up, Peter shows up in Italy to try to win Sarah back. He is, of course, supposed to be the Evil Boyfriend Approved By Parents of such films as Far and Away and Titanic, but other than the unscrupulous act of wooing someone on her honeymoon, he seems like a pretty decent guy. I found Tom so thoroughly unlikable, I was actually rooting for Evil Boyfriend! Though, to be honest, I didn’t like Sarah a whole lot either. She’s pretty whiny and obnoxious herself, though more palatable than Kutcher, at least in personality. Her voice really grated on me, though. It sounded throughout the film as though she had a sore throat, and I’m not sure if that was an affectation for the movie or her actual voice. I haven’t seen enough of her to know. Either way, I found it very unpleasant to listen to.

Of course, by the end of the movie, there’s a big happy reconciliation. How couldn’t there be? Tom crashes Sarah’s mansion and spouts out some romantic spiel, and she runs back into his arms. Hooray. What a surprise. I guess in the end they deserve each other, but the only thing happy about the ending as far as I was concerned is that I didn’t have to suffer through this movie anymore.

No comments:

Post a Comment