Wednesday, June 20, 2001

Perfect for Ladybug Lovers

When the birthday of one of my best friends from college was approaching, I pondered what to give her. We are two of a kind, a couple of college gals not afraid to revert to our childhoods once in a while. In fact, the day I met her we were participating in a reading day for local elementary school students, and we spent the whole ride to and from the school discussing all our favorite children's books. So when I spotted this adorable Anne Geddes ladybug, I knew it would be perfect for my ladybug-loving, childhood-appreciating friend.

I first became familiar with Anne Geddes while babysitting. My charges' mother had an Anne Geddes calendar hanging on her refrigerator, and I always enjoyed seeing what creative costumes she would bedeck the babies with next month. When the dolls came out, they were every bit as cute as the photographs had been. Toy store shelves are now stocked with babies nestled in the fuzzy guises of hedgehogs, daisies, rabbits, butterflies, teddy bears...and ladybugs.

Like the other Geddes dolls, the ladybug has the body of the animal but the hands and face of a baby. The doll is in a sleeping position, with the red dome, complete with black spots, on top. Below, the body is black, including black footies and a black hood with antennae protruding from it. The doll is very soft and huggable, and my friend tells me her infant niece has gotten quite a bit of enjoyment from it as well.

The only downfall I found with the ladybug is that, unlike many of the other varieties, it seemed to only come with one expression. With the hedgehogs, for instance, some were laughing, some pouting, some just slightly smiling. Still, the peacefully dozing expression suits this blissful beetle perfectly, so there really isn't any need for alternate options.

The ladybug I bought was a mini-model, about the size of the typical beanie baby. Other than its size, it appeared to be identical to the larger version, and the smaller size was more fitting to the lilliputian animal it represented. I would say that this high-quality, adorable toy is a steal for a mere $6.50. Great for babies and youthful adults alike. Don't let this one fly away from you!

No comments:

Post a Comment