Friday, December 16, 2011

Add Some Color to Your Keys With Donald Duck

Keys are very important objects, but they can also be befuddling. Most of them have either a silver or gold color to them, and the general shapes are usually so similar across the board that shuffling through a large set of keys can be a rather infuriating experience. If you’re standing at the front door itching to get in out of the rain, you don’t really want to have to search too hard for the correct key. One thing that has made things easier in my house is buying novelty keys and having them cut into the shape of our house key.

I first ran across these cheerful keys in a hardware store a few years ago. I was so charmed that I had to get one for myself, and with so many different designs to choose from, I encouraged my parents to do the same. Now we have several floating around the house. The spare key hanging above the stove is this particular design, which is Donald Duck.

Donald stands against a backdrop of bright green grass and clear blue sky. In the background are a cozy red farmhouse and a couple of trees. Donald himself is decked out in his traditional sailor suit, and he wears a big smile on his face. I often think of Donald as being frustrated, but that isn’t the case here. In fact, he looks very proud of himself. Given that this is a house key, I might venture a guess that he is proud because he is a homeowner. He certainly looks very satisfied about something as he stands there with his hands on his hips and beams.

The key is sturdy and works just as well as the original for getting into the house. This one simply hangs on the key ring with a couple of smaller keys, and finding the right key amongst them was never really an issue, as it was in with my parents’ much larger sets of keys. In their cases, having a key like this saves time because finding it is so much easier. Here, it just makes me smile to see Donald grinning at me while I turn the key to get into the house. The cheer is infectious.

Since I first came across these keys, I have seen them at multiple hardware stores. Many different designs are available, but Disney seems to be especially well represented. They only cost a few dollars, and getting a copy of your key made with this mold only takes a matter of minutes. Since the main point is making that particular key stand out, I wouldn’t recommend getting more than a couple of them – maybe your house key and car key, if your car key isn’t electronic. Some designs work better with certain key shapes than others, so that is something to be aware of; the person doing the key cutting should be able to tell you whether the design you have selected will be a good fit for your key.

I think that having Donald Duck on that key is a great idea. These snazzy designs make finding the right key in a pinch easier and express your personality and interests at the same time. What a fun thing to have on your key ring!

No comments:

Post a Comment