Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Bask in the Geeky Glow of the 2010 Hallmark Light Cycle

Up until last year, I had only a passing familiarity with TRON, but as the release date of the sequel neared, I was persuaded that the time had come for me to fill in that gap in my geek cred. While my feelings about the movie itself are somewhat mixed, I've developed a deep affection for the franchise, particularly for the light cycle, the vehicle that served as my entry point into that world. That's why I ended up buying the 2010 Hallmark light cycle ornament when I spotted it on sale after Christmas.

Crafted by Hallmark artist Orville Wilson, this is a sturdy black ornament that has a very sleek look to it. It's actually inspired by TRON Legacy rather than the original TRON, so the character astride it is Sam Flynn, son of Kevin Flynn, the main character from the first movie. Not that you can really tell what he looks like in that black bodysuit. His face is somewhat visible behind the plastic visor, but basically, he is one with the light cycle here, and together they are zooming across the grid.

While the outer part of the light cycle is smooth black plastic, parts of the tires are visible, and the rough tread makes it fairly easy to stand the cycle up on a shelf. I'm undecided whether I'm going to hang mine on the tree this year or just leave it in its current perch on the bookshelf. While it wobbles a bit when I pick it up and set it down again, I don't have much trouble getting it to stand straight.

One problem I did have was upon lifting the ornament out of the box. I was taking a closer look at it, and one of the pedals on which Sam's foot rested broke off. Later, my brother was looking at it, and the other one broke off. I don't know if we just got a flimsy ornament or what, but I'd advise you to watch out for those pedals and be extra careful not to bump them.

While this is a cool ornament on its own, with its iconic look and the white accents on a sheer black surface, what makes it really neat is the fact that it lights up once you put the button batteries in it. You press the black button surrounded by a white circle on the top of the ornament, just ahead of the hook, and it glows a pale blue. While there is nothing Christmassy about this ornament, the blue is a wintery shade that feels festive.

Additionally, this ornament is slightly smaller than the front portion of a typical pair of glasses. While the holes in the wheels are certainly on the small side for lenses, I find it fun to hold the ornament about an inch away from my face and peer through them, especially while it's lit up. That's probably a very dorky thing to do, but I get a kick out of it.

In January, I started watching Chuck, which has further cemented TRON in my mind as an icon of geek pride since the title character's original movie poster is prominently displayed in almost every episode. As a self-proclaimed geek, then, I am glad to let this ornament light up my living room.

No comments:

Post a Comment