Wednesday, December 9, 2009

James T. Kirk Is Ready to Command in This 1995 Hallmark Ornament

When it comes to picking a favorite character from Star Trek, I am definitely a Spock gal. This surprises me sometimes, since I am also a very emotional creature. But something about Spock’s serene, logical presence is extremely soothing, and while I often find myself frustrated with Captain Kirk when I watch the series, I seldom get aggravated with Spock. Nonetheless, a First Officer needs a good Captain, so every year, when I pull out the shuttlecraft ornament containing the voice chip of Spock addressing the Enterprise, I make sure his addressee is somewhere on the tree.

The 1995 Captain James T. Kirk ornament stands about four inches tall and two and three quarters inches wide. Kirk sits in his iconic chair, the cushion of which is black against a light gray setting. His left hand rests near a colorful controller, while his right hand is in a pensive, chin-scratching position. Captain Kirk wears black pants and shiny black boots. His uniform shirt is gold, with shiny accents on the rings around the arms and the insignia. He also has a black collar. The color on the figure is striking, and he looks quite realistic, though the lines between his shoulders and torso are so well-defined that it looks like his arms ought to move, and they don’t. His hands and smirky face are flesh-toned, and he has a thick head of brown hair. Attached to the top of the chair is a golden wire that ends in an ornament loop above Kirk's head through which to place the hook.

Captain Kirk sits nicely on a flat surface thanks to the one-inch circular base supporting the chair. If I weren’t so determined to have as much Star Trek as possible on our tree, I’d consider just sticking him on the piano instead, because the ornament is a little on the clunky side, and it can be tricky to find a branch that is large enough to support such a heavy ornament. Kirk has fallen off the tree on more than one occasion, though on the plus side, this hasn’t damaged him at all. The ornament may be slightly awkward, but it’s resilient. And unlike the shuttlecraft ornament, none of the paint has peeled at all.

Last year Hallmark came out with an ornament featuring Captain Kirk drowning in Tribbles. One of these days, I’d love to snag that one, which not only salutes one of my favorite episodes but also features nifty sound and motion. Mine is much more general and could apply to pretty much any episode. Sadly, there is no sound, motion or light embedded in this ornament, and there’s nothing Christmassy about it either, though making Star Trek Christmassy is a rather tricky thing to pull off without coming across as totally corny. So I don’t require a holiday message, but I do wish that Kirk said something. I also found it a little odd that on the back, the chosen “famous words” are “All I ask is a tall ship, and a star to steer her by,” which is from the John Masefield poem Sea Fever. Yes, Kirk quoted that, but it seems like it would have made more sense to include something he said more frequently, and that was more unique to him.

Despite a few quibbles, I love my Captain Kirk ornament, and I think most Trekkies would be glad to have it as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment