Tuesday, December 15, 2009

A Flying Squirrel Delivers the Mail With Air Express

I love squirrels. I have always found them endearing, but I think I can trace my obsession with them to a special that I watched on PBS years ago entitled Backyard Bandits. This show was all about setting up elaborate obstacle courses for squirrels to try to defeat in their quest for peanuts or kernels of corn. We’ve never had much luck attracting the savvy rodents to our yard; there must be too much feline aroma in the air. But I’ve spent many a tranquil afternoon in a more suitable locale tossing nuts to willing squirrels and seeing just how close they will come to me in their eagerness for a tasty treat.

Air Express is a Hallmark ornament that dates back to 1995, which was shortly after I saw that special, so it seems like something I would have received as a gift, but as I recall, I bought it at a thrift shop some time later. This would seem to be supported by the slightly mangled box and the corner of a “sale price” sticker stuck to the front. No matter how I happened to get it, though, I’m glad this furry fellow is a part of my collection.

The back of the burgundy box reads, “Of course, you’ve heard of flying squirrels, / But did you ever guess / That Santa sometimes uses one / To send a gift express!” Yes, this is a different sort of squirrel than the ones I tend to see here in Pennsylvania. Those are gray squirrels, big and burly; this little guy is a sprightly brown flying squirrel, and instead of snatching goodies away from people, he’s delivering them. Nice change of pace; maybe he can help blot out some of the bad press his thieving relatives are giving the species!

This squirrel is just shy of three and a half inches long, with his front and back paws stretched into proper flying position and his wavy tail flapping out behind him. The ornament is only about an inch in height; this is a very compact critter. He has large chocolaty brown eyes and a cute little black nose just above his mouth, which is set in a face of the same beige color as his stomach. His surface is light brown and highly textured, with lots of tiny lines in the plastic to help give it the appearance of real fur.

Each of his paws has four little digits. The tail, flat in its stretched-out state, looks almost more like a beaver’s tail as it ripples against the wind. As a member of Santa’s Special Forces, he comes equipped with a uniform. His red cape is reminiscent of Superman, especially when coupled with his gold-trimmed blue mailman hat. Around his neck is slung a mail bag the precise shade of peanut butter, a color I suppose must be motivating to a squirrel. The bag is trimmed in dark red and bears the words “AIR EXPRESS”. Several white envelopes poke out of the top.

This is a very simple, no-frills ornament, but I don’t mind that. Considering that it’s both a squirrel and an airborne creature, it’s definitely intended for the tree, and it doesn’t rest naturally on a flat surface. Hang the ornament on an obliging branch, however, and you’ve got an ideal home for this adorable little fella who is so very anxious to bring you an extra bit of Christmas cheer.

No comments:

Post a Comment