Thursday, August 30, 2007

Hiro Elevates Otherwise Dreary Heroes

Last summer, I went to see several movies at the theater and was surprised to notice that along with the expected movie previews, there was advertising for upcoming television projects. This was how I first heard about NBC's Heroes, a drama about several seemingly ordinary people who suddenly discover hitherto unknown talents. Initially, the connections between most of these super-powered are tenuous or nonexistent, so there are a lot of threads to follow at once. Eventually, however, the storylines intersect as these potential heroes discover that something disastrous is about to happen unless they join forces to stop it.

When I found out about Heroes, I was stuck firmly in an obsession with Smalville, so perhaps I was feeling especially receptive to watching a show about superheroes, though I suspect it would have caught my interest anyway. I've always had a fondness for science fiction; the nerdy Trekkie in me cheered when Malcolm McDowell (Generations) showed up, and I was even happier to see George Takei, who played Sulu in the original series, show up as the father of my favorite character. I'm not so sure how I feel about Zachary Quinto, who portrays the vicious Sylar, stepping into the uniform of my beloved Spock; I'm hoping I can banish his character's nasty shenanigans from my mind before I see the new Star Trek movie.

Despite the Trek connections, Heroes really has more in common with X-Men and other tales of several people nursing superpowers that generally make their lives more difficult. Indeed, few of the characters seem happy with their newfound abilities. Cheerleader Claire Bennet (Hayden Panettiere) is completely freaked out by her indestructibility, particularly when she begins to suspect that her doting but vaguely sinister adoptive father (Jack Coleman) knows more than he's telling. On-the-run mom Niki Sanders (Ali Larter) has little control over her violent alter-ego, while Nathan Petrelli (Adrian Pasdar) represses his flying ability, fearing it will harm his political campaign. Devoted cop Matt Parkman (Greg Grunberg) faces marital problems and job woes, so he's not eager to embrace his sudden mind-reading prowess. Professor Mohinder Suresh (Sendhil Ramamurthy) doesn't want to admit that his father, who dedicated much of his life to finding people with such genetic mutations, was onto something.

There are only two characters - among the good guys, anyway - who really seem to relish their otherness. One is Nathan's younger brother Peter (Milo Ventimiglia), a sensitive young hospice worker. At first, it's unclear whether he actually has any unusual powers at all, since all he has is realistic dreams to back up his conviction, though we soon learn Peter has an important role to play in this drama, though it isn't quite what he envisioned. By far the most enthusiastic character, and my favorite, is Hiro Nakamura (Masi Oka), a geeky, idealistic Japanese office drone who giddily discovers that he can manipulate time and space. As soon as he learns this, he sets out on a heroic journey, bringing his reluctant, cynical friend Ando Masahashi (James Kyson Lee) along for the ride. Neither speaks English very well, so the vast majority of their speech is in subtitles, which is rather unfortunate since the dialogue I am most interested in is also the easiest to miss.

Hiro and Ando also provide much-needed comic relief, and if it weren't for their thread in the story, I might not keep watching; this is a very dark show, and apart from them, the humor is very thinly spread. Heroes takes itself very seriously, as evidenced by the shadowy tones that permeate nearly every scene and Mohinder's sanctimonious voice-overs, which often begin and end episodes. And it's violent. Once the main cast of superheroes has been established, nearly everyone we meet afterward winds up dead, and not all the characters from the pilot will survive either. Much of the carnage comes courtesy of Sylar, a gifted clock-maker who desperately wants superpowers of his own and decides to seize them mechanically, by slicing heads open as if with a can opener and somehow surgically inserting the powers of the deceased into his own brain in a move rather reminiscent of Highlander. For the squeamish, pillows or other eye-shielding objects are definitely advised.

Is Heroes a good show? Yes, I'd say so, but I don't like it nearly as much as Smallville, LOST and Ugly Betty. I'll probably tune in again this year, but if Hiro is ever taken out of the picture, I'll bow out too - though that would free him up to score a spin-off... All Hiro, all the time; now that would be a show well worth watching!

No comments:

Post a Comment