Thursday, August 30, 2007

Chicken-Dancing Elmo Takes Irritation to New Heights

Over the summer, my friend Libbie had a yard sale, and I was more than happy to give her my patronage - though given her generous nature, she wouldn't let me pay for anything I picked up except for the glass of lemonade I bought from her niece. So with my wallet scarcely depleted, I ventured around the block, dropping my dimes and quarters for a Pooh book here, a plush Meeko the raccoon there. I came home laden with bags full of beautiful shmoo, none of which I know what to do with. But the most glorious unnecessary purchase of all was something I snagged for a dollar in a garage where one of the women running the sale bemoaned its departure and another cheered heartily. My treasure? A Chicken Dance Elmo.

Sometimes, I just have to release that inner two-year-old. This is the same 26-year-old who gets a charge out of randomly blowing the quacking whistle she procured on a trip to Baltimore despite not actually riding on the amphibious tour bus for which it was a souvenir. Maybe I have a strange obsession with waterfowl, though I suspect it has more to do with an occasional fondness for annoying noise, and Elmo singing the Chicken Dance song certainly qualifies. I've loved the Chicken Dance all my life; it's always the part of the skating party or dance or wedding reception I most look forward to. But with Elmo's rather grating voice, which has grown increasingly tiresome since the Tickle Me Elmo craze and the brazen attempt by Elmo's World to take over Sesame Street, this is not a song you want to go on for several verses.

It doesn't help that although Elmo is dressed in a fuzzy chicken suit - albeit of a canary-yellow shade - he appears to be confused as to which animal he is representing. "Elmo wants to be a chicken! Elmo wants to be a duck!" he cries out gleefully, while I scratch my head, wondering what ducks have to do with anything and whether this might be a surreptitious trick of my subconscious, trying to get me to sneak in a couple toots on the duck whistle, which would clash so flagrantly with Elmo's dulcet tones. But then I am distracted by Elmo's dancing, which is reassuringly clunky; even I am more graceful than him, and am capable of performing each of the steps of the chicken dance, not just the wing-flapping and the awkward head-lolling between which he laughingly alternates.

It took me a while to find the right way to get Elmo in gear, but eventually I hit upon just the right spot on his left big orange bird foot, and away he went, while a press on the right foot yielded a surfeit of clucking. At the moment, he's been banished to the basement, but one of these days I'll bring him up again. Maybe for Halloween. He's in costume. And he's scary. And I'm scary, for bringing this startling contraption into my house. How long will he stay? Until his four AA batteries run out? Until Christmas rolls around and I think of some charming child a little closer to the age range of Elmo's intended audience, whose parent I don't particularly need to remain on friendly terms with? Who could forgive me for such a gift?

No, I think it's best I hang onto it myself, and bring it out only in times of intolerable silence. Now if you'll excuse me, I have a date with a duck whistle...

No comments:

Post a Comment