Tuesday, May 8, 2007

I Don't Have Enough Patience For The English Patient

This past Christmas, my aunt brought several boxes of videos along with her to the traditional family gathering. Having switched over to DVDs, she was running out of space, so all those movies she'd taped over the years were fair game for the rest of us. We took her up on her offer, snagging 50 or so tapes. Among the movies was The English Patient, about which I'd heard glowing reviews, particularly during a college class I took on colonial literature. Going into the film, I was intrigued; coming out, I was confused, and after a great deal of puzzling, I'm still not sure just what to make of it.

The English Patient opens near the end of World War II when a French nurse named Hana (Juliette Binoche) takes a severely burned man (Ralph Fiennes) under her wing, letting her comrades leave her behind so she can care for him in what she assumes are his last days. He doesn't seem likely to recover from his injuries, yet there is life and spirit in him still. He has a story to tell.

So he tells it, in bits and pieces, and we watch his tragic tale unfold in flashbacks that show him as the handsome young Hungarian Count Laszlo de Almasy, who comes under the spell of a beautiful woman named Katharine (Kristin Scott Thomas), who is married to Geoffrey Clifton (Colin Firth). The Cliftons work with the Count on some of his archaeological expeditions, and initially Katharine and Laszlo don't get along so well, but their passionate sniping leads to passionate other things, and when Geoffrey finds out, life gets a whole lot harder for both of them.

Throw into the mix Caravaggio (Willem Dafoe), who shows up one day shortly after Hana takes on the role of hospice nurse. We don't really know why he's there, but he obviously has a deep personal connection to the man lying helplessly in the bed with bandages all over him, eerily prefiguring the faceless Voldemort, whom Fiennes portrayed in Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire. Late in the film, we see first-hand what happened to Caravaggio to make him so bitter, and it's probably the most grotesque sequence in a film with its fair share of violent moments. It's one of those scenes that I would retreat to the kitchen for if I watched the movie again, my hands clenched over my ears to block out Dafoe's blood-curdling screams.

Creating a quartet in the present day is bomb disarmer Kip (Naveen Andrews), a Sikh with whom Hana becomes smitten. Polite and quiet, he treats Hana with respect, though her regard for him seems much stronger than his for her, at least initially. I've seen most of the members of this cast in other roles but was especially excited to see Andrews, since my only familiarity with him was from LOST, which, like Lord of the Rings, provided me with a long list of actors to watch out for in other projects. I enjoyed his role here, which was a bit less complicated than the others since there wasn't so much back story to deal with.

Oddly, three of the actors in this film - Fiennes, Dafoe and Jurgen Prochnow - have played Jesus. (Now, if only Henry Ian Cusick had made it into the movie somehow, we could've had someone who both played Jesus and stars on LOST...) I assume this is mere coincidence (especially since Fiennes' portrayal came four years after this movie), though the film certainly explores religious themes such as redemption and sacrifice. That said, I wouldn't consider any of the characters a Christ figure. In fact, while Hana and Kip are likable enough, I don't find Laszlo, Katharine, Caravaggio or Geoffrey all that sympathetic. We watch all of them endure great suffering, and we feel sorry for them, but... I don't know. The movie stretches on for nearly three hours, and the minutes tick by ever so slowly. By the time it ended, I was just glad it was over, and I can't say it had much of an emotional impact on me. The ending left me feeling cold, and none of the gradually unveiled secrets of the past made much of an impression on me.

I think this is the sort of movie that's best watched twice if one wants to get a proper appreciation for everything that's happening. Unfortunately, I doubt I'll be delving into the movie further; my list of movies to see continues to grow, and I just don't have time to re-watch films I didn't like much to begin with. It takes a very patient viewer to embrace The English Patient.

No comments:

Post a Comment