Wednesday, August 3, 2005

"If There's One Thing an Englishman Knows, It's How to Queue."

That’s what I love about Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy; it’s so delightfully British. The series is on my list of books to read. Many of my friends have informed me that I need to read Douglas Adams’ masterpiece, and I suspect they’re right. At least the movie gave me a taste of what to expect. Like many adaptations, I get the sense that this was not entirely successful in its attempt to do justice to the book. But at times, I suspect that the film came pretty close.

When a movie begins with the obliteration of Earth, that’s usually not a good sign – though singing dolphins help to make up for this atrocity. In any case, it’s clear Our Hero, British everyman Arthur Dent (Martin Freeman), isn’t having a very good day. First a crew shows up to knock his house down to make way for a highway, then hundreds of alien ships show up and incinerate his planet to make way for the galactic version of the same thing. But Arthur does have a bit of luck on his side, in the form of Ford Prefect (Mos Def), his upbeat friend who just happens to be an alien aware of Earth’s imminent destruction. Once Ford whisks them off the doomed planet, the real adventure begins.

They soon find themselves the traveling companions of Zaphod Beeblebrox (Sam Rockwell), the egotistical, two-headed Intergalactic president, and his girlfriend, Trillian (Zooey Deschanel), with whom Arthur is not so secretly smitten. I must admit that while I found Arthur endearing and Ford engaging, Trillian was rather annoying to me and Zaphod was just plain obnoxious. I think I would have much preferred the movie without him. But as unsatisfactory as those two characters were, their portly robot shipmate Marvin made up for it. Brilliantly voiced by Alan Rickman, who seems to have a knack for pulling off mournful characters and managed, in my opinion, to make Snape the most intriguing character in the Harry Potter films, this droid possesses all the cheer of Eeyore and never minds letting everyone within earshot know how miserable he is. He was undoubtedly my favorite character in the film, unless one counts a certain instructional manual as a character…

The titular guide was consistently the source of greatest amusement for me. Its witty observations and recollections struck me as so deliciously absurd, I wished it would have appeared even more often than it did. Voiced by Stephen Fry, it also provides the narration for the film, which is excellent and a bit reminiscent of Jude Law in Series of Unfortunate Events, though I think Fry had more opportunity to make the most of his potential for amusement. Little details of the film also provide great mirth, such as the tendency of the hideous Vogons to become so enmeshed in paperwork that they never accomplish anything, or their utilization of poetry as a torture tool. I’m also a fan of the rather daffy Slartibartfast (Bill Nighy), the sullen-looking fellow who shows Arthur the factory where planets are created, and I think the concept of the point-of-view gun is brilliant. Wouldn’t it come in handy to just zap someone with the result that they would instantly understand your point of view? I want one!

Basically, as a comedy, Hitchhiker’s Guide succeeds, though there are lines that fall flat and there were several elements of the film that still didn’t really make sense to my by the end. I don’t think the comedic aspect translated as well as it could have, but it still made for pretty funny viewing. The love story, on the other hand, failed to move me at all. I could have done without it altogether. While Arthur was very loveable, Trillian just didn’t seem his type to me, and I didn’t find any chemistry between them. So go see the movie for a laugh, and keep an ear out especially for Marvin and the Guide. I don’t know that it’s everything Douglas Adams would have wanted it to be, but I doubt he’s rolling over in his grave.

No comments:

Post a Comment