Monday, August 8, 2005

Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince: "I Am Not Worried, Harry. I Am With You."

I have loved books ever since I can remember. I couldn’t learn to read fast enough; I virtually inhaled books from the age of four, causing a maddening overflow from the shelves filling the hallways of our house. I ordered enough books from the Scholastic book club at school to get practically every selection in the end-of-year bonus catalogue for free. My mom invented the school’s Book Swap just for me; I regularly contributed about half the books. Not only have I a passion for reading but a deep-set ambition to find my own name amongst my favorite authors on the shelves at the bookstore. So I try to write, but in the meantime I read and read and read some more. But every once in a while, a book comes along that is so noteworthy, so marvelous, so touching and intimidating, it stops me in my tracks. Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone was such a book.

I’d never heard of the boy wizard with a lightning mark on his forehead when my aunt first presented me with the introductory volume for my birthday several years ago. He was all mine to discover, and once I’d fallen in love with the glorious world J. K. Rowling created, there was no going back. I was devoted, and all the ensuing negative press failed to sway me. I lingered over the subsequent volumes as they arrived to ever-increasing fanfare, unwilling to sacrifice the drinking in of any minute details in favor of speed reading bragging rights. So it was when the sixth book finally arrived in the middle of July, after two years of waiting and seven months of having a definite date to look forward to, I did not feel the need to open it and draw out its contents immediately. I had hoped to laud its arrival with my friends at the bookstore where I worked when I heard the publication date, but circumstances prevented this. However, I still found myself in possession of a copy on that first day, courtesy of the same aunt who introduced me to the series in the first place. And I waited. I cast furtive glances in the book’s direction for the next two weeks, heightening the anticipation until I could no longer stand the suspense (or the possibility that key plot points might be leaked to me inadvertently). Skipping past the table of contents with potentially revealing chapter headings, I opened to the first page of Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince and began to read...

J. K. Rowling is the sort of genius who makes me feel as though pursuing a career in writing is silly. Her inventiveness and knack for creating complex plots and living, breathing characters knows no bounds. Nonetheless, I do confess to having been just a bit disappointed by Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix. Harry was far too surly for my liking, and Hogwarts on the whole had become intolerably sinister, no longer the sanctuary Dumbledore strived to make it. His absence throughout the majority of the book cast a pallor on the whole ordeal, so I was quite pleased to see him back in his position of power. I was a bit surprised at Harry’s demeanor in this installment. It was as though the fifth book was a blip on the radar screen; the brooding, enraged teenager was all but gone, replaced with a boy who was once again kind and considerate, aside from momentary bursts involving certain established nemeses. A bit unexpected, particularly considering how the last book ended, but a welcome relief in my opinion. That doesn’t mean young Potter is spared from churning emotions. Instead, as he watches Ron and Hermione plunge into the dangerous waters of teenage hormones, he tries to submerge his own newly discovered impulses. As Harry and his friends stand on the brink of adulthood, they have another major threshold to cross: learning to Apparate. While Muggles struggle through learning how to drive, witches and wizards are at last allowed to develop the handy skill of teleporting, a prospect that breeds excitement but also considerable stress. In the meantime, other aspects of Hogwarts which once were vital elements of his school year become relegated to the background. Sadly, this means Hagrid, who gets my vote of favorite Rowling character my the tiniest of slivers, with Dumbledore an easy second. Happily, when the big-hearted half-giant does appear, his scenes impart maximum impact.


I found it curious that Harry did not make an actual appearance in the book until the third chapter. Nonetheless, reading certain events first puts the rest of the year into context. We are introduced to the new Minister of Magic, and we learn that the situation has grown so dire that the Prime Minister of the Muggles must be notified. The stage is being set for a truly spectacular showdown. Furthermore, Rowling leaves us with the impression that Harry’s greatest troubles this year may come from sources closer to home than the vile but still somewhat nebulous Voldemort. Finally, there is another introduction to be made: Professor Slughorn, an addition to the faculty at Hogwarts who is nearly as silly as Gilderoy Lockhart but considerably more talented. Aside from this, it’s the same old faces, and in spite of the pre-Harry material, we find ourselves at Hogwarts considerably earlier than in the fifth book. In spite of the gathering danger, accentuated by Harry’s trips to Dumbledore’s office to piece together the mysteries of Voldemort’s past and his quest to discover just what Malfoy and Snape are up to, Rowling’s wit shines through, and there are many laugh-aloud moments. Though lovable jokesters Fred and George are no longer at the school, they remain a strong presence thanks to the products from their joke shop, Weasleys’ Wizard Wheezes, which are banned but nonetheless find their way into the hands of many students. Neville shrinks back into a minor role here, but loony Luna becomes more prominent, injecting startlingly tactless remarks into everyday conversation and even a Quidditch commentary. While Harry is weighed down with the knowledge that he must eventually face Voldemort, he’s also got his hands full as captain of the Gryffindor Quidditch team and best friend to two people who, in their determination to mask their passion for one another, wind up regarding one another with a loathing from which neither one seems likely to recover.

In the midst of all this drama, the titular character seems to play a fairly unimportant role. This unknown wizard (or witch, as Hermione stubbornly suggests) who once scribbled his ingenious potions insights all over Harry’s textbook allows Harry to have greater success in that class than he has ever enjoyed, but the suggestions rarely give him an advantage outside of the classroom. However, Hermione suspects that there is a danger about this book that Harry cannot surmise. Perhaps the long-ago student whom Harry has come to regard as a friend will come to haunt the present owner in ways no divination instructor could foresee.

The development of Rowling’s characters continues to be more than satisfactory. Harry is not perfect by any means, but he’s a lot easier to deal with in this book than in the last. His greatest flaw perhaps lies in judging people too quickly and refusing to allow his perceptions to change. He obsessively despises Snape and Malfoy, allowing a thirst for unveiling their plots to override concerns that are probably more pressing, such as his lessons with Dumbledore. I was torn throughout the novel between being frustrated with Harry for not considering that Dumbledore might be right about Snape and with Dumbledore for not considering that Harry might be. Snape, meanwhile, remains an intriguing character, perhaps the most ambiguous of all the major players in Rowling’s epic fantasy. He is cruel and demeaning, and by the conclusion of the novel, events have occurred that seem to point to Harry’s view of Snape being correct all along. Yet Dumbledore trusts him, and if there’s anyone in Harry’s world who can be relied upon absolutely, it’s Albus Dumbledore. I nearly always prefer redemption to comeuppance when dealing with villainous characters, and in spite of all the evidence against it, I am especially keen to believe that Snape is a better man than he appears, because I crave evidence that Dumdledore’s wisdom is absolute and that his altruism is not unfounded.

Ultimately, I think Dumbledore is the most compelling character in this novel. He is a man we have grown to love, have come to know so well, and after his shattering removal, he has returned to guide Harry as a battle a lifetime in the making looms ever nearer. I can’t help but be reminded of Gandalf, Tolkien’s beloved wizard who similarly served as mentor and leader. Dumbledore, wizard though he may be, is mortal and beginning to show his age. He is weaker than before, his hand blackened by a dark encounter which he will not recount to Harry until the time is ripe, his mind plagued with the horrors of a world gone awry. It is most touching to see this stalwart guardian turn to his student for assistance and even protection. But his sense of humor remains razor-sharp, his cleverness is undiminished, and, most importantly, his capacity for compassion remains untouched. He, perhaps above all others, embodies the true spirit behind Harry Potter, the reason that I can never take seriously the arguments that Rowling’s books are evil or dangerous or anti-Christian. Boiled down to its most basic element, the Harry Potter series is about one thing: love. This is what sets Harry apart from his arch-enemy, and though it may not sound like much to a young wizard in training, it seems destined to be the key to bringing about Voldemort’s downfall. Harry’s deep-seated friendship with Ron and Hermione, his mother’s willingness to die for his safety, the overflow of affection to be found at the Weasley home... even Hagrid’s unseemly devotion to the most dangerous creatures in the wizarding world points to the fact that Rowling’s is a world powered by love, unable to be undone by even the most evil of upstarts. So it is that I leave the sixth novel, with its most exquisite and elegaic of endings, in full possession of the faith that good will indeed triumph in the last, desperate, thrilling, heart-rending, and undoubtedly brilliant chapter in the chronicles of a boy named Harry Potter.

No comments:

Post a Comment