Wednesday, April 28, 2004

Thirteen a Thoroughly Unlikable Movie

Last year, I heard a lot about the movie Thirteen, mostly having to do with the fact that its co-author was as young as the main character. Intrigued by the idea of a movie written by one so young and experiencing my usual combo package of inspiration and jealousy when faced with a prodigy, I added it to the list of movies I wanted to see, but many films higher up on the list didn’t make the cut so Thirteen would have to wait for a day when I could rent it. That day came a couple months ago, when I spent the evening with two friends who were equally intrigued by the screenwriting credits. When the movie ended, we were all glad we’d waited for the video.

The writer in question is Nikki Reed, who takes a lead role in the film as Evie, a popular, worldly girl with whom the main character, Tracy (Evan Rachel Wood), becomes obsessed towards the beginning of the film. Tracy starts out as a nice, sweet 13-year-old girl who loves her mother, Melanie (Holly Hunter), dotes on the younger children in her neighborhood, and plays innocently with her longtime friends. But this year, it seems, is destined to be different. When members of a snotty clique make a derogatory comment about her socks, Tracy snaps. Suddenly all she cares about is being popular, and that means getting in with Evie. After a grand dissing by Evie and her friends, Tracy manages to win her way into their crowd by stealing an elderly woman’s wallet. Before long, Evie has dumped the rest of her friends, and so has Tracy. The two become a gruesome twosome, with Evie’s charm landing her a semi-permanent spot in Tracy’s home.

Throughout the course of the movie, the sweet little girl that was Tracy vanishes. She snaps at her mother constantly and without good cause even as Evie warms up to Melanie. Under Evie’s sinister tutelage, Tracy spends the bulk of the film in a whirlwind of substance abuse, self-mutilation, theft, and lewd activity, and her dialogue is heavily peppered with profanity. Both girls have troubled homes, but the film shows Melanie making a genuine effort to do what is best for her family in spite of her own struggles with drugs and alcohol and a boyfriend, Brady (Jeremy Sisto), with similar problems. She is easily the most sympathetic character in the film. I spent much of the film angry with Tracy for her abrupt and uncalled for change in behavior, and it was evident from the beginning that Evie spelled trouble. Although it seems we are not supposed to like Brady, I thought Tracy’s vilification of him did not match the character the film presented. Most of the time he seemed like a perfectly decent guy whose problems did not make him any worse than any other character in the movie.

I found the whole film dark, depressing, and hard to follow. The cinematographic style was jarring; it looked as though the movie had been shot on a home video camera by someone who did not know how to operate the camera properly. I found the 180-degree change in Tracy’s character unbelievable and the activities she engaged in with Evie abhorrent. I guess I’ve lived a sheltered life, but I can’t imagine seventh-graders living this way. High schoolers, perhaps, but not kids just starting junior high. The acting seemed solid enough, but I found the film so thoroughly unlikable that I couldn’t appreciate it, even in the scenes between Melanie and Tracy that I was supposed to find so moving. I guess this is a film that would probably best be appreciated by teenagers – too R-rated for younger children and too disturbing for adults who already feel like kids today are on the wrong track. But I certainly couldn’t have related to this movie when I was thirteen, and I hope the number of thirteen-year-olds who can is not nearly as large as Reed would have us think.

No comments:

Post a Comment