Tuesday, April 20, 2004

EW Provides More "Weeeee!!!" than "Ewwwww" - Especially When it's Free

A couple years ago, my family went to Media Play, and upon our checkout the cashier presented us with the opportunity to receive eight free issues of Entertainment Weekly. Though we weren’t familiar with the magazine, we were happy to accept the offer, and soon we began getting our copies in the mail. We were happy with the arrangement until the eighth issue came and went without our noticing and suddenly we had a big fat subscription bill in our mailbox. We managed to cancel the subscription without having to pay any fees and swore we would not accept any more free offers, but every time we went to Media Play we got the offer and couldn’t resist those eight free issues. So now we just have to pay better attention if we want to get the magazine without paying for it.

Our latest “free subscription” ran out a few weeks ago, and though I went to Media Play last week, the cashier did not offer the deal and I didn’t ask. We’ve gone through several stretches without the magazine because, while we find it interesting and entertaining, we can’t reconcile the cost of the magazine every week with our attempts to be budget-conscious. However, a good friend of mine usually gets the magazine, and she often passes it along to me so I can catch up on what I’ve missed.

Entertainment Weekly isn’t a terribly substantial magazine. It isn’t uncommon for an issue to contain more than 100 pages, but many of those pages contain ads while others focus prominently on photographs and still others are filled mostly with short snippets about one thing or another. Generally I don’t mind the brief format employed throughout much of the magazine. When I pick up an EW, I’m usually just looking to skim through anyway, unless something particularly catches my eye. There are always a few in-depth articles to offset all the shorter items, and these are well done.

As an American Idol junkie, I particularly enjoyed EW last year with its frequent focus on the contestants and their prospects. Unfortunately I didn’t secure a copy of the clever Brady Bunch-style cover which featured several of the contestants and judges, but I did enjoy reading what the editors had to say about the second season’s crop, particularly Clay Aiken. I have come to the conclusion that the folks over at EW are a rather cynical bunch, and as a result I often disagree with their analyses of certain pop culture phenomena. I noticed that when it was on the air, they seemed to be particularly virulent in their disdain for Touched by an Angel. And I was dismayed that when Art Garfunkel released Everything Waits to be Noticed, the first album on which he took songwriting credits, EW failed to even mention it, even though it came out the month that their magazine featured an extensive list of new music releases.

Although my brother and I refer to EW as “ewwww,” we both find it informative and witty, even if we disagree with the opinion being presented. Some of my favorite aspects of the magazine are their periodic lists on everything from tear-jerking movies to powerful celebrities; their weekly guide to television with editorial comments on each show; their numerous features on American Idol and Lord of the Rings; their various media reviews, particularly for movies; the letters from the readers, who are often very passionate and aggravated with EW; and the once-every-three-weeks column by Steven King. The weekly Hotsheet, which highlights short items of interest from the previous week and adds a humorous comment, usually contains a selection or two that is very entertaining. My favorite, accompanied by a caricature of a grungy-looking Bob Dylan, was printed just after he performed at the Grammys in 2002: “The audience is wondering what song Bob Dylan is singing. And what other song his band is playing.”

Maybe I just got used to the format after receiving the magazine in the mail for several weeks, but in spite of the sometimes irritating attitudes of the editors, EW is probably my favorite entertainment-related magazine on the market. Maybe one of these days I’ll actually start paying for it...

No comments:

Post a Comment