Monday, October 6, 2003

Livingston Taylor Lives Up to the Family Name in Erie, PA October 4


I am a big fan of James Taylor, but I had never heard of his brother Livingston before this week. That was when I read that he would appear in concert this past Saturday with the Erie Philharmonic. Unfamiliar as I was, I had a hunch that the talent ran in the family. The article certainly presented Taylor as the type of artist I would enjoy seeing perform. So on Saturday night, my dad and I headed over to First Assembly of God and bought last-minute tickets for $10.

While I would have expected the cheapest tickets to land us somewhere in the nosebleed section, they weren't marked with a particular seat assignment so we were told we could sit anywhere except the "A" section. That landed us eight rows from the stage. A pleasant surprise, but this was a church after all, and "the last shall become first" was true in this case! The Erie Philharmonic generally performs at the Warner Theater, but it is under renovations so First Assembly offered its space as a replacement. It worked very nicely as a concert hall.

I have been to concerts of this type before, most notably when I saw Art Garfunkel in Pittsburgh and Buffalo. In both of those cases, the Philharmonic performed alone during the first half, and Art came out for the second half. That was the plan for this show, but they decided to change it up a bit. The Philharmonic, under the direction of Jeff Tyzik, performed a number of hymns and spirituals; I wonder if the location had anything to do with that? The orchestra played Tyzik's arrangement of Amazing Grace, which he said was supposed to present a feeling of unity. The Mercyhurst College Choir lent their vocals to Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring, John Williams' Hymn to the Fallen, and a spiritual by Erie native Harry Burleigh.

Livingston came out to do a couple of songs before the intermission. He wore a vest and a blue bow tie and bore quite a resemblance to James, an impression that was only strengthened when I heard him sing. His voice is lower than his brother's but very similar in tone. He sang I Will Be In Love With You and Glad I Know You Well before the break; both were very nice songs, and his guitar picking skills were impressive.

From the start, he seemed like a very down-to-earth and friendly person, bantering back and forth easily with Tyzik as though they were old friends and grinning throughout. He commented that he is generally used to playing for audiences half the size of the orchestra so that was taking some getting used to! I got the impression that he does most of his gigs on his own. He didn't have a band with him on this night.

The Philharmonic's performance of Aaron Copeland's Rodeo was moved to the beginning of the second half, leaving Livingston time to grab a bite to eat after the intermission crowd had died down. My dad and I bumped into him on our way back and directed him towards the concessions, assuring him that they had coffee. The Copeland movements were fun, culminating in the familiar soundtrack for the "Beef: It's What's For Dinner" commercials. After this, Livingston was ready to take the stage once again.

He started out with Somewhere Over the Rainbow, including a little-heard introductory verse to the song. From there, he sang When Sunny Gets Blue, getting down off the stage at one point to dance with a woman in the front row. He gave a nod to his famous brother by singing Carolina On My Mind and let the brass section shine on Blind, a song he had written as a teenager.

Perhaps the most entertaining performance of the evening was the Railroad Medley, including I've Been Working on the Railroad, Chattanooga Choo Choo, Atcheson, Topeka & Santa Fe, and The Trolley Song. He was incredibly animated throughout this performance, acting out the songs from chugging along like a locomotive for the first song to panicking over the attentions of a girl in the last. I wonder if this is a medley he usually performs or if it was specific to this concert, as he noted that our city is right in the rust belt and that railroads have played a big part in Erie's development.

The regular set ended with Banjo Extravaganza, which he introduced by playing Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring on the banjo and commenting on his love of the instrument. He said he was going to play a little something that he didn't expect the Philharmonic to know but that they should feel welcome to fill in should they feel so inclined. He began playing, and gradually more and more of the orchestra joined in, starting with percussion and branching out. When he ended the song, the orchestra kept on playing, so he had to work himself back into the song for a grand finale. This was also a very entertaining performance that reminded me a lot of Eric Weissberg and Warren Bernhardt's Dueling Banjos at Art Garfunkel's concert in Erie.

After receiving a standing ovation, Livingston came back for one a capella encore, a spiritual-like tribute entitled Grandma's Hands. All in all, it was a very enjoyable evening, well worth the ticket price. I only wish he had sold some albums there, because I would have bought one. I now have another Taylor to add to my list of admired musicians. Livingston is not as widely known as his brother, but from what I saw at this concert he shares many of the qualities that I admire in James. His discography is also quite impressive, so finding an album or two of his shouldn't be very difficult. I imagine that the concerts he usually does, without a backing orchestra, have a very different feel to them but are also very enjoyable. I would certainly recommend him to any fans of his brother or of mellow music in general.

No comments:

Post a Comment