Thursday, October 9, 2003

For Anyone Who's Ever Loved a Dog

Four weeks ago today was September 11, the second anniversary of one of the most tragic days in American history. It was also the day I found out my dog Sandy's kidneys had stopped working. She had been in good health up until a couple weeks before, and when we had taken her to the vet a week earlier he said she probably had tapeworms. She was 13, but we thought she had at least another year or two in her. We brought her home that evening and stayed with her for the next two days. She died in our living room on Saturday night.

I haven't felt much like writing since then, but since the Livingston Taylor concert prompted me to break my review silence, I figured I should get the ball rolling again. And how better to do it than with a review of one of my all-time favorite books, particularly appropriate to this time in my life? I read Where the Red Fern Grows in sixth grade. I believe it was the first, and still one of the only, books that made me cry. You know what you're in for from the outset of the novel; the narrator tells you up front. But that doesn't make it any easier to read when the time comes.

Where the Red Fern Grows is a tale of the bond a boy shares with his canine companions. It's a theme that has been revisited many times, but with the exception of Old Yeller, I can't think of a more heart-rending take on the theme. The boy in question is a 10-year-old lad named Billy Coleman who lives in the Ozarks and dreams of owning a pair of hunting dogs. His family is poor and can't afford to buy him the dogs he wants, so he spends two years taking odd jobs to earn the money for the hounds himself. When he finally has all the cash he needs, he walks all the way to town to pick them up, deeply impressing the local sheriff. This is a kid who knows what he wants and will stop at nothing to get it.

He names the hounds Old Dan and Little Ann and spends the majority of the book training them and gallavanting through the woods on hunting adventures with them. With Billy's patience and Dan and Ann's skill and devotion to him, they become the best coon-hunting dog team for miles around. Some good, sound advice from Grandpa doesn't hurt either. Billy's dogs are the hounds of his dreams, but the older Billy has already warned us that this dream is not destined to last as long as it should. The intrepid trio deal with heartache in their journeys, but nothing can compare to their final gut-wrenching adventure. If you can avoid it, don't read those last couple chapters in public. It's no use trying to disguise those sniffles.

Where the Red Fern Grows is a homespun tale of the triumphs and tragedies of growing up. The words flow with such natural beauty, taking the readers to a simpler time and place. And the development of Billy's relationship with his dogs is something any dog lover can readily appreciate. I find it very hard to rank books in terms of favorites, but this one has to fall in my top five. It's one of those books I think everyone ought to read at some time or another.

As my luck would have it, I discovered that this book that I have so carefully stored on my shelf for years mysteriously disappeared when I needed it most. I still don't know where it went, but it looks like it's time to admit defeat and buy another copy. This is one book I cannot do without, particularly now that I finally can truly empathize with Billy. If you've never read it, open it up one of these days. You won't regret it.

No comments:

Post a Comment