Monday, February 11, 2002

Labyrinth Leaves Henson Devotee in the Dust

It's very hard for me to believe that a Muppet fanatic like myself living with a little brother who is even more of a Muppet fanatic should find herself watching Labyrinth for the first time within a month of her 21st birthday. How could I have gone so long without seeing it? It remains a mystery. Nonetheless, I have finally seen the Jim Henson fantasy that seems to have far outranked The Dark Crystal in terms of popularity. My brother liked it so much that he ran out and got the DVD two weeks later. I admit that my reaction was a bit less enthusiastic, and I am inclined to prefer The Dark Crystal. But the film was certainly a showcase of Henson's creative talent, and if nothing else, I enjoyed the wide array of characters that showed up throughout the course of the movie.

Labyrinth is the tale of Sarah (Jennifer Connelly), a teenager with an imagination rivaling that of Anne Shirley of Anne of Green Gables fame. She spends her time acting out fantasies in which she is the heroine, and her bedroom is filled with fantasy characters, many of whom show up later in the movie as living creatures. Her adventures begin when she returns from the park late to be reprimanded by her step-mother, who has stuck her with babysitting duty yet again. Sarah's baby brother, Toby, seems to be feeling particularly cantankerous tonight, and it isn't long before Sarah finds herself wishing that he would be stolen away by goblins. Much to her surprise, her appeal to the goblins is successful, and Jareth (David Bowie), King of the Goblins, shows up to present Sarah with a mystical gift.

Immediately remorseful, Sarah reluctantly refuses Jareth's offer and demands her brother back. Jareth informs her that she has just over a day in which to find her way through the labyrinth and into his castle. If she does not reclaim her brother in time, he will become a goblin forever. Eager to start, Sarah enlists the aid of Hoggle (voice of Brian Henson), an old dwarf caretaker who is spraying fairies with pest spray when she first meets him. Although he is rather gruff, he warms to the girl, and the next time they meet he agrees to help her find her way to the goblin castle. Sarah also finds friends in the form of Ludo, a gigantic sloth-like creature, and Sir Didymus, a fox-like knight who guards the bridge of the Bog of Eternal Stench and rides a sheepdog.

Other creatures include an ancient oracle with a bird on his head; a pair of two-headed playing cards that guard the entrances to two pathways, one leading to the castle and one to sudden death; flamboyant birds that juggle their heads around; two doorknockers, one who can't hear and one who can't talk; an enormous stone monster; and lots of goblins. Some strange new creature is always popping up, so you have to keep your eyes on the screen so you don?t miss any of them. One of the neatest scenes in the film involves a long tunnel of Helping Hands. These hands guide Sarah downward to the oubliette, and they constantly rearrange themselves in order to talk and convey a variety of expressions.

The film has many moments of cleverness, mostly in the way that Sarah overcomes various obstacles standing in her way, and it all ends happily ever after. That said, I must admit that this movie didn't really resonate with me the way Henson's movies usually do. There seemed to be an air of incongruity about the film, and at times I had a bit of difficulty following the action. The characters, especially Sarah, seemed to develop in spurts. Each change of heart was instantaneous rather than gradual. And the songs left me completely cold, a rarity for Henson; I usually sing along with gusto while watching one of his movies. I couldn't understand the words half the time, the tunes didn't click with me, and the songs just seemed pretty out of place overall. I was hopelessly confused as soon as Jareth started droning, "You remind me of the babe/the babe with the power/the power of voodoo?" And the later songs didn't make much more sense to me.

Jareth is the most enigmatic character in the film, and it is hard for me to decide whether or not to like him. He's a villain, obviously, but there's more levity than menace in his most villainous moments, such as the scene where he promises to make Hoggle "Prince of the Land of Stench" if Sarah kisses the dwarf. He seems genuinely overjoyed with Toby and treats him with paternal affection. Meanwhile, he is a melancholy presence when Sarah is near, and he seems to be quite taken with her and wishing she would reciprocate his adoration. He gives me the creeps, and yet I can't help but feel sorry for him. I find him to be the most engaging character in the film, and so I would probably, ironically, rate him my favorite character.

Since Nathan acquired the DVD, I suspect I will have plenty of time to grow into a deeper appreciation of this film. Perhaps it is one of those movies you must see several times to really understand. I hope that is the case. Though I didn't hate the movie, I think the most accurate comment I could make would be that I didn't get the movie. It?s a must-see for any Muppet enthusiast, and the bonus feature at the end which describes the making of Labyrinth is fascinating. But if I were to rank Jim Henson's films, I think this one would fall at the bottom of the list.

No comments:

Post a Comment