Wednesday, February 27, 2002

Diamond is a Girl's Best Friend

I just completed my review of Neil Diamond's concert for the school newspaper, and I would like to include it here. However, since this is Epinions and not the school paper, I’m going to exercise my right to ramble. Wherever you see italics - except for song titles - you’re getting additional insight of which my fellow college students were deprived. Feel privileged. (Or annoyed. Take your pick.) P.S. If you opt for the latter, just ignore the stuff in italics.

I've been a Neil Diamond fan for a long time. I can trace my admiration of his music back to the first days of our CD player, when we got our first batch of Columbia House CDs. Simon and Garfunkel made it out of the case first. And though I initially rejected them, within a day I had changed my mind. I became an 8-year-old obsessed. I sang their songs all day, listened to their music incessantly, dreamed I was performing with them. My parents got sick of it. "Listen to something else!" they demanded. And when I did not comply, Dad switched the CDs on me. And Neil Diamond weaned me off of Simon and Garfunkel, bringing my fanaticism to a better balance. I still enjoy his music, and his Christmas album is probably one of my top three favorite Christmas albums.

Still, I have noticed that I have impeccably good timing. Just as I happened to decide to write Art Garfunkel a letter months before he happened to come to Erie, so I happened to discover Cracklin' Rosie just a month or so before Neil Diamond came to State College. My little brother's got me hooked on Froggy (our oldies station), and I heard that song on the radio frequently and fell in love with it. Why? Who knows. Now that I've got it memorized I tend to think it may be a bit...I dunno, raunchy? But I love it anyway. I happened to mention this on the way to school one day as Cherry, Cherry was playing, just before they announced that Neil Diamond was playing three nearby locations in the next month.

So my birthday rolled around, and I should have taken the hint when my brother dedicated Cracklin' Rosie to me on the radio. But I’m so determined to be surprised, I never pick up on clues. So I had no inkling that I would be presented later that night with the news that I was going to see Neil Diamond in concert at State College. All I can say is...yay!!!! And the concert did not disappoint...


"If it’s true, as they say, that music can heal, let the healing begin." With this sentiment at heart, Neil Diamond graced a 10,000 -member audience with an electrifying two-hour performance on Tuesday at University Park’s Bryce Jordan Center. The drama of the performance was greatly increased by the fantastic lighting. In order for that to be possible, technicians had to climb up to the light boards, at least 50 feet above the stage, on rope ladders. Then they had to sit on the structures, which wobbled, for the duration of the program. I tip my hat to crazy people.

Diamond played without intermission, covering songs from all stages of his career. In light of the events of Sept. 11, Diamond’s 2001-2002 tour is decidedly patriotic in nature. The show began with a large flag hanging down in front of the stage. As the flag was raised, Diamond burst into America, a hit which has enjoyed renewed popularity since Sept. 11. Fun Fact: I bought a t-shirt bearing the image of the American flag behind Diamond’s silhouette. The audience gave roaring approval to the song, and when the lyrics demanded "Stand up for America...today!" everyone complied. Fun Fact: When I told my best friend about going to see this concert, she told me her mom has always loved this song because it reminded her of coming to America from England as a child.

Next, Diamond dug deep in his repertoire to sing Solitary Man and Cherry, Cherry. He made a few comments about college life along the way and slyly suggested that the administrators in attendance might see to it that the attending students would be exempt from morning classes the following day. His wit and charm kept his rapport with the audience going when the music was silent. And while his stage presence magnified the impact of his more energetic tunes, the slower songs such as Play Me and Girl, You’ll Be a Woman Soon flourished under his silky presentation.

The latter, in fact, turned out to be one of the show's greatest moments. Halfway through the song, Diamond selected a young woman in the front row of the audience by beckoning to her and urging her to, as the song says, "come take my hand." For the remainder of the song, he stretched out over the stage, clutching her hand, as she turned varying shades of red and fanned herself with one hand to keep from fainting. As the song ended, Diamond separated himself with an embrace and flopped down on the stage as though he'd just gotten the wind knocked out of him. Another woman in the front row offered him her handkerchief, which he gratefully accepted before singing two songs from his new album, Three Chord Opera, to "cool down." This complete lack of a barrier between performer and audience thrilled the observers, and the unwitting participant in the song got a nice round of applause. This incident prompted me to wonder whether I would be willing to pay - just a guess - $200 for Neil Diamond to kiss me in front of 10,000 people. Hmm....

I'm a Believer was another big winner. The song that became a hit for the Monkees a generation ago hit the top of the airwaves again last year with Smashmouth’s version, which was featured in the movie Shrek, and middle-agers and college students alike knew all the words. Some songs required more audience participation than others. Fun Fact: While we were watching Neil Diamond in State College, my grandma was watching Anne Murray (a concert I wouldn't mind seeing sometime myself) in good ol' Erie, PA. Although I have not yet confirmed this, I feel fairly certain that Murray performed Daydream Believer. And so Dad and I were linked to Grandma by the Monkees. Diamond introduced Forever in Blue Jeans as an old familiar favorite and encouraged the audience to stand and sing along and even go solo in a few places.

Likewise, Sweet Caroline was a stand-up-and-sing-along song, although when it ended, he quipped, "Beautiful job, that was lovely...but...why are you still standing? Don’t you know the song is...over? You mean you expect me to go out there and do it again? I was just checking to see if I had any choice in the matter..." He then took up the chorus yet again, this time with great accentuation on each note and hand gestures to match.

Beautiful Noise was one of the...well...noisiest songs of the night, making full use of the extensive band backing Diamond up. Each section had a portion of the song to itself, and by the time the song was over the audience members felt like they had been transported to New York City, Diamond’s hometown. Yet another highlight was You Don’t Bring Me Flowers, a soulful duet in which Diamond shared the stage with Linda Press, whose piercing vocals have contributed to this song for over 25 years.

One of the show's most poignant moments was the singing of Captain Sunshine, which was dedicated to Vince Charles, a member of Diamond’s band since 1977 who died last year. The other was the singing of He Ain't Heavy, He's My Brother to honor the nation's true heroes: firefighters, policemen and servicemen. The show ended with I Am, I Said, one of Diamond’s defining hits. He was long gone long, however, before returning for an encore. A raucous Cracklin' Rosie preceded and electrifying Brother Love's Traveling Salvation Show, and the show officially ended with the lowering of the flag over the chorus of America.

"It's a good feeling to know that I've been able to bridge generations and still entertain such a varied audience," noted Diamond in his tour book. Fun Fact: He also mentions in his tour book that Simon and Garfunkel, along with the Everly Brothers and the Beatles, are his favorite singers. Good form, Neil! That certainly proved true on Tuesday night, and audience members young and old left the show assured that good music never goes out of style.

No comments:

Post a Comment