Friday, May 11, 2001

A Perfect Gift for Mother's Day

If you enjoyed Bradley Trevor Greive’s The Blue Day Book, here is another delightful volume for you to enjoy. This book, written in the same format as the first, is a tribute to moms of all ages and species. The pink cover, which proudly displays the title Dear Mom: Thank
You For Everything
, boasts an adorable picture of an orangutan infant clinging to its mother.

Before the book begins, there is an extremely appropriate quote by Abraham Lincoln: “All that I am or hope to be I owe to my angel mother.” After that follow 73 pages of polished prose and captivating photographs. Here are a few of my favorites:

I’m sure it’s hard to imagine that I was once small, helpless, and completely dependent on someone else, (4) – an elephant struggling to fit through a train door

but I was. (5) – a tiny primate clinging to a banana twice as big as itself

You sculpted my face with a million tender kisses. (16) – a chimpanzee cuddling her child

You shared with me all the values that make you so special – kindness, forgiveness, honesty, persistence, thoughtfulness, and especially patience! (19) – an affectionate cat sticking its head in the mouth of a yawning dog

[Thank you] for giving me everything I needed (and then some) to grow up and fulfill my potential, (23) – two mice nibbling atop a huge wheel of cheese

and for calling me your “perfect little angel” (24) – a bright-eyed piglet

(despite overwhelming evidence that this was not actually the case) (25) – a squinty-eyed horned lizard

Thank you for being my full-time, on-call, personal chauffeur from day one. (26) – a cat riding a racehorse

Whenever I got into a bind, you were always there for me. (35) – a mouse stuck between two pieces of wood

Thank you for encouraging me to recognize the real beauty inside me and to stand tall. (39) – a giraffe nudging her baby towards its first steps

I know we got into a flap over things every now and then (44) – a duck and her duckling flapping and hissing at each other

I’m not sure I’ll ever get over you making me kiss your great-aunt smack on the mustache! (48) – a rhino with its mouth wide open

I’m sorry for splashing around in mud puddles after you dressed me up in my best clothes and new shoes (54) – a drenched raccoon standing in a lake

and for asking, “Are we there yet? Are we there yet?” every time we went driving. (55) – a snail on a turtle’s back

I realize now what a tremendous sacrifice you made for me. I know my playtime took precedence over your rest time, (61) – a baby prairie dog stretched across its mother

and my potty training took precedence over absolutely everything. (63) – a chimp with its hand over its eyes and a disturbed look on its face

“Mom, I’m starving!” (65) – a yowling cat

“Mommy, I’m bored.” (66) – a hippo with a huge yawn

“Mommy, I can’t find my pet chicken anywhere. I need you to wake up and help me find it right now!” (67) – a screaming chimp with a chick on its head

You have shown me a world filled with love and wonder. (69) – a lion and her cub looking out over the prairie through the rustling grass

Because you are [the greatest mom in the universe]. Thank you, Mom. Thank you for everything. (73) a baby cheetah looking into its mother’s face

For a mere ten dollars, this book is sure to bring joy to one and all, especially mothers. Look through it yourself and see which pages especially apply to your beloved parent. This book is sure to bring a smile, so pick it up today. Your mom will be thrilled.

No comments:

Post a Comment