Monday, March 12, 2001

Hard Rock Cafe a Delicious Musical Experience

For my end-of-Spring-Break trip, I went to Cleveland to visit the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. But the fun didn't end when we (my mom, my friend, and myself) left the museum. Mom thought it would be fun for us to conclude our adventure with lunch at the Hard Rock Cafe.

I have been to this location once before, a couple years ago during the Cleveland Air Show. I also have been to the Hard Rock Cafe in Washington, D.C. Both of these dining experiences occurred on a Saturday night, and the place was packed. We had to wait quite a while before we were seated. Luckily for us, this time around we hit the restaurant around 4:00, avoiding both the main dinner and lunch crowds.

I think the best way to describe the Hard Rock Cafe is as a miniature Rock and Roll Hall of Fame -- with food. The walls are lined with artifacts, mostly photographs but also album covers, costumes, guitars, even vehicles (Elvis' Pink Cadillac is in Washington). Even the bathrooms are decorated. Televisions are strategically placed so that you can watch a steady stream of music videos. There's even a gift shop from which items such as t-shirts, caps, pins and playing cards can be purchased.

And, of course, the food. The Cafe has a nice variety of meals to choose from. To get a good sampling of the available appetizers, get the Ringo Combo, which includes onion rings, Santa Fe spring rolls, Tupelo chicken and three sauces. I must admit that I've never tried the appetizers because the meal portions are so generous.

I've had sandwiches on all three visits. They've got several different types of burgers. Their cheeseburgers are great and, as I said, very large. A McDonald's burger is downright puny is comparison. I've also had the Pig Sandwich, a Hard Rock specialty. It is a sandwich piled high with shredded barbecued pork. All sandwiches come with a large helping of crispy French fries. There are also various types of salad, soup, seafood, steak, and vegetarian meals. Drinks include Pepsi products and a wide selection of alcoholic beverages.

I have been satisfied with the three meals I've had there, as were my dinner companions. Our servers were very helpful, and the atmosphere was fun and interesting. Before I went for the first time two years ago, I wasn't sure I'd like it. I figured "hard rock=heavy metal". But just like the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, there are musicians represented here which suit a wide variety of musical tastes. We don't have one in Erie yet, but if we ever get one I'll definitely make a point to stop in once in a while. It's one of the most entertaining dining experiences around.

No comments:

Post a Comment